- Travel advances cannot be used for purchasing plane tickets.
- In order to qualify for the meal per diem, travel must involve an overnight stay.
- To get meal reimbursements for the first day of travel, the traveler must depart before 12:00 p.m. (noon).
- To get meal reimbursements for the last day of travel, the traveler must return after 12:00 p.m. (noon).
- The lodging and meal per diems indicate the maximum amount the traveler will be reimbursed for expenses. The travel voucher should request reimbursement for actual expenses, not to exceed the per diem. Meal receipts are not required and reimbursement of meal expenses is based on the honor system; travelers are only supposed to claim the amount they actually spend on meals. (For example, if the meal per diem is $25/day but the traveler did not spend any money on meals because meals were provided by a conference or other, the traveler should not claim a meal reimbursement for that day. Or, if a traveler spends only $20 on meals for a given day, he/she should only request the $20 reimbursement, not the full per diem.)