Local schools can apply to establish a Confucius Classroom through the Confucius Institute at the University of Texas at Dallas. If the application is approved, the newly established Confucius Classroom can apply to the Confucius Institute Headquarters for start-up funds for the first year and operation funds for the year after. It can also apply for volunteer Chinese teachers provided by the Confucius Institute Headquarters. In addition, superintendents and principals of the school district where the Confucius Classroom is established, Chinese language teachers in the school and its students will have opportunities to go on sponsored trips to China.
To date, the Confucius Institute at the University of Texas at Dallas has established 11 Confucius Classrooms in local schools. They are:
- Denton Creek Elementary School Confucius Classroom
- Coppell Middle School East Confucius Classroom
- Coppell Middle School West Confucius Classroom
- Coppell Middle School North Confucius Classroom
- New Tech High School Confucius Classroom
- L. D. Bell High School Confucius Classroom
- Trinity High School Confucius Classroom
- Westwood School Confucius Classroom
- Ursuline Academy Confucius Classroom
- Episcopal School of Dallas Confucius Classroom
- Highland Park High School Confucius Classroom
With the support of funds, equipment, and volunteer Chinese teachers provided by the Confucius Institute Headquarters and the Confucius Institute at UT Dallas, the eleven schools have greatly expanded their Chinese programs, which in total have attracted more than 1000 students enrolled in the Chinese language and culture classes.
Schools that are interested in the Confucius Classroom program can call: 972-883-2042, or send email to: Confucius@utdallas.edu . Your questions about the program will be answered.