Areas of Specialization: Texas and US History
Office: JO 5.109
Office Hours: M: 6-6:50pm
Mail Station: JO 31
Email: [email protected]
Texas and 20th-Century American History
I am currently serving as Chair of the History Department at Collin College.
Recent Courses: View courses taught by Keith Volanto
Work Samples and Publications:
- The American Challenge: A New History of the United States, Abigail Press, 2012.
A college-level American history textbook (co-author and co-editor)
- Texas Voices: Documents and Biographical Sketches, Abigail Press, 2010.
(author and editor)
- Beyond Myths and Legends: A Narrative History of Texas, Abigail Press, 2008.
A college-level Texas history textbook (co-author)
- Texas, Cotton, and the New Deal, Texas A&M University Press, 2005.
Finalist for the Texas State Historical Association's Coral Horton Tullis Memorial Prize
Article and Essay Publications:
- "To Advance Our Race through Good Health: African-American Physicians and Medical Practice in Jim Crow Texas," in Caduceus and the Lone Star State: Medicine in Twentieth-Century Texas (University of Oklahoma Press, forthcoming)
- "Desertion, Disability, and Death in the Texas Civilian Conservation Corps," Central Texas Studies (forthcoming in 2016)
- "Beyond the Beltway: Significant State and Local Studies of the New Deal," in The Oxford Handbook of the New Deal (Oxford University Press, forthcoming)
- "The Far Right in Texas Politics during the Roosevelt Era," in The Texas Right: The Radical Roots of Lone Star Conservatism (Texas A&M University Press, 2014): 68-86
- "James E. Youngblood: Race, Family, and Farm Ownership in Jim Crow Texas," in Beyond Forty Acres and a Mule: African American Farmers since Reconstruction (University of Florida Press, 2012): 63-82
- "The Life and Work of Dr. Beadie Eugene Conner: An African American Physician in Jim Crow Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 105 (January 2012): 258-280
- "Strange Brew: Recent Texas Political, Economic, and Military History," in Beyond Texas through Time, Walter L. Buenger and Arnoldo De León, eds. (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 2011): 85-124
- "Where are the New Deal Historians of Texas?: A Literature Review of the New Deal Experience in Texas," East Texas Historical Journal 47 (Fall 2010): 41-57
- "'Up in Arms': Local Protest vs. the Placement of Black CCC Camps in West Texas," West Texas Historical Association Yearbook 83 (2007): 96-110
- "The AAA Cotton Plow-Up Campaign in Arkansas," Arkansas Historical Quarterly 59 (Winter 2000): 386-406
- "Burying White Gold: The AAA Cotton Plow-up Campaign in Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 103 (January 2000): 326-355
- "Leaving the Land: Tenant and Sharecropper Displacement in Texas during the New Deal," Social Science History 20 (Winter 1996): 533-51
PhD History, Texas A&M University (1998)
Curriculum Vitae: Keith Volanto's CV