Areas of Specialization: research methods, ethics, medical rhetoric, professional communication, technical writing and editing
Office: JO 3.548
Mail Station: JO 31
Email: [email protected]
My name is Carie, and I teach rhetoric, communication, and ethics classes in A&H, ATEC, UT-PACT, and ECS. I like to work with students as they refine their communication skills, develop as professionals, and prepare to enter the workplace. When I am not teaching, I volunteer for the Boy Scouts of America and for a high school Model United Nations team. I also like to travel; I was raised in a military family, so I have traveled all over the world.
I am currently working on several projects. First, how do breast-cancer patients interact online? Second, how do students disclose personal information in online spaces. I also investigate how ethics theories fit into workplace communication.
I like to research with undergraduate students and encourage them to "live in inquiry." I also like to encourage my students to reflect on influences in their lives, to identify what experiences have influenced their ethical theories, to consider other peoples' perspectives, and to recognize the power they have in language.
After earning my BA in English from Baylor, I worked 13 years as a medical editor. I then returned to school: I earned my MA in technical writing and editing from UNT and a PhD in technical communication and rhetoric (medical) from Texas Tech. I then completed a postdoctoral study in ethics and communication through the Center for Spirituality and Ethics at the Health Sciences Center at Texas Tech. During that time, I was the content editor for Technical Communication Quarterly. I continue to consult as a technical writer and editor, but teaching is my first passion.
Recent Courses: View courses taught by Carie Lambert
Work Samples and Publications:
- Lambert, C. S. T., & Schlobohm, M. (Eds.). (2015). Communication and media: What’s trending now. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishers.
- Loader, E. M., & Lambert, C. S. T. (2015). Health communication and resources. In Lambert, C. S. T., & Schlobohm, M. (Eds.). (2015). Communication and media: What’s trending now (pp. 135–174). Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishers.
- Lancaster, A., & Lambert, C. S. T. (2015). Communication and ethics. In Lambert, C. S. T., & Schlobohm, M. (Eds.). (2015). Communication and media: What’s trending now (pp. 289–318). Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishers.
- Lambert, C. S. (2014). Social media in disaster response: Book review. Technical Communication Quarterly, 24(1), 117–119. doi: 10.1080/10572252.2015.975968
- Lambert, C. S. (2013, July 29). Collaborative usability study in an undergraduate information design class [invited article]. ATTW Bulletin.
- Andrews, C., Burleson, D., Dunks, K., Elmore, K., Lambert, C. S., et al. (2012). A new method in user-centered design: Collaborative Prototype Design Process (CPDP). Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, 42(2), 123–142.
- Lambert, C. S. (2011, February). Online: From the outside looking in. (Ethically researching online artifacts.) Intercom.
- Lambert, C. S. (2010). The Diane Feldman Technical Editing SIG Scholarship: Recipient article. Corrigo.
- Lambert, C. S. (2010, February 7). TTU PhD program wins another UNT scholar: Recipient article. Technically Write.
PhD, Technical Communication and Rhetoric, Texas Tech University, 2012
MA, Technical Writing, University of North Texas, 2008
BA, English (journalism minor), Baylor University, 1991
Curriculum Vitae: Carie Lambert's CV