Historical Studies and Philosophy
At UT Dallas, the study of history and philosophy are closely linked. Historical study aims to understand the societies, institutions, events, and thought of people in the past. Philosophy aims to understand problems of knowledge, ethics, metaphysics, the basis of social and political life, and the ways in which traditions of thought in the past have shaped the understanding of those philosophical problems. We currently offer two undergraduate majors: Historical Studies, which incorporates philosophy requirements into the study of History; and Philosophy, which includes requirements in the history of philosophy.
- Bachelor of Arts in Historical Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy
- Minor in History
- Minor in Philosophy
- Minor in Medical and Scientific Humanities (MaSH)
- Master of Arts in History
- Master of Arts in Humanities-History of Ideas
- PhD in Humanities-History of Ideas
- Certificate in Holocaust Studies
Widely diverse in backgrounds and interests, the History and Philosophy faculty frequently employ approaches that mesh the several disciplines of the School as classes explore specific academic areas from a broad scholarly perspective.