To qualify for an internship, a student must:
-- Be a registered UT Dallas undergraduate and a major in Arts and Humanities
-- Have junior-level standing (54 or more credit hours)
-- Have completed at least 15 hours of UT Dallas coursework, at least 12 in the major
-- Have a minimum 3.20 GPA in the major and 2.80 GPA overall
-- Present a complete application with accompanying documents
An internship must:
-- Be related to the student's major
-- Be taken in conjunction with no more than 12 additional hours of course work
-- Require a minimum of 140 hours of supervised work for 3 credits (280 for 6)
Procedures and Regulations
- Students should first visit the Career Center, set up a UTD CareerWorks account, attend the Internship Orientation session and meet with the A&H Internship Coordinator to fill out the A&H Internship Application.
- Once an internship has been selected and approved by the A&H Internship Coordinator, students should meet with their academic advisor.
- Students should then acquire the endorsement [signature only] of a relevant member of the full-time faculty based on the interest area of the internship. The faculty endorsement certifies that the faculty member thinks the student has sufficient background to undertake the internship; the faculty member does not supervise the internship.
- Students seeking credit for their internship should then enroll for the Internship course with their academic advisor.
- If seeking credit, students must enroll for the Internship course in the same semester they undertake the internship itself.
- Internships can only be graded credit/non-credit.
- Internships can only be used as upper-level electives [guaranteed by use of uniform ISAH course number].
- No more than six hours of internship credit will be applied to the degree plan.
- A requirement for receiving academic credit is academic work agreed upon with the instructor of record for the A&H internship course; at minimum this would normally include a journal documenting hours worked during the internship and reflecting on the experience and a 10-page paper on a related topic.
These are minimal guidelines for the School; particular majors or faculty sponsors may require additional materials.
approved by A&H faculty October 2007