Language Placement Assessments
The School of Arts and Humanities at The University of Texas at Dallas does not offer a BA in Spanish, French, or German, but instead offers courses at beginning and intermediate levels. In addition, the School offers advanced Spanish and courses in Spanish culture and Mexican literature, culture and history. Our aim is to prepare students with a high degree of language competence.
A great degree of emphasis in our language classes is placed on listening and speaking as well as reading and writing skills. The scope of language course sequences serves all students and programs of the university and fulfills students' needs by targeting cross-cultural communication, global awareness, international understanding and cultural pluralism. The Spanish, French and German sequence of courses will ensure that students will learn successfully language and culture, effectively and enjoyably, while it becomes a personal, professional, humanistic and rewarding experience.
Spanish, French, and German Placement Exams
Thank you for your interest in taking Spanish, French, or German at UT Dallas. All students who are taking Spanish, French, or German for the first time at UT Dallas must take an online placement exam before enrolling.*
To complete the Spanish, French, or German placement exam:
- Go to the testing website:
- Complete the online registration form.
Organization = "The University of Texas at Dallas"
Language = Spanish, French, or German
Email = your UTD email address
- Pay for the exam. The cost of the exam is $10.00 for one test attempt. You may pay using a debit or credit card.
- You will receive an email confirmation of your purchase with the link and exam ID (password). You do not have to take the exam immediately after registering, but you must take the exam before you can enroll.
- Take the exam. When you begin the exam, you may not stop and go back. Make sure you have uninterrupted access to the Internet for a period of about an hour.
- Print your results (score and course placement). Students must enroll in the highest level course available as determined by their placement score. Instructors reserve the right to require additional coursework for those students who fail to enroll in a course at the appropriate level.
- Students should not (re)enroll in a language course at a lower level than and/or a prerequisite for the course in which they are presently enrolled (e.g., a student who is successfully completing SPAN 1312 should not enroll in SPAN 1311 in a subsequent semester). Instructors reserve the right to require additional coursework for those students who (re)enroll in a prerequisite course and/or course at a lower level than the one in which they are presently enrolled.
- You will need to give your advisor a copy (print out or digital version) to enroll in the course. You are also required to bring a copy of your results to your instructor on the first day of class.
|WebCAPE Language Placement Scores|
|Below 234 = SPAN 1311||Below 263 = GERM 1311||Below 233 = FREN 1311|
|234-311 = SPAN 1312||263-342 = GERM 1312||233-317 = FREN 1312|
|312-383 = SPAN 2311||343-424 = GERM 2311||317-385 = FREN 2311|
|383-456 = SPAN 2312||425-511 = GERM 2312||385-446 = FREN 2312|
If you have any questions, please contact:
George Henson, Senior Lecturer of Spanish, at email@example.com.
Maha Fettouh, Instructor of French, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cindy Renker, Instructor of German, at email@example.com
*You need not take the exam if prior courses and/or credit by exam scores satisfy SPAN, FREN, or GERM course prerequisites (this includes credit through courses at UT Dallas, transfer credit, and AP or CLEP credit).