ATEC Course Explores Creating Autonomous Technology
Coined by Langdon Winner, autonomous technology (A.T.) refers to technologies that operate on their own.
In this NEW course, students will learn about:
- Humanoid robots and other hardware and software designed to work hand and hand with humans but operate also on their own
- Research literature in areas such as human-robotic interactions (HRI)
- Design implications
- Areas for students to research and develop projects
- A.T.’s philosophical background
- A.T.’s psychological underpinnings
The course will incorporate current and historical readings, papers, and projects designed to help students to understand and apply what they learn. The class will meet from 4:00 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. on Thursdays in Room 3.605 in ATC. If a student decides to take the class, he or she needs to enter course number 25591 when registering online.