Listening to Paintings: ATEC to Present Soundscapes
In a creative blending of sense experiences, students in UT Dallas’ Arts and Technology (ATEC) program will present their soundscapes to go with works at the Dallas Museum of Art on Friday, May 15, at 8 p.m.
Students in Dr. Frank Dufour’s Sound Design for Interactive Applications course were commissioned by Nicole Stutzman, director of learning partnerships with schools and the community at the museum, to compose soundscapes or auditory translations for a selection of paintings from the DMA’s permanent collection.
This collaboration marks the second time ATEC students have been invited to create sound-design projects inspired by paintings, sculptures, and other art objects at the DMA and to present them at the museum with the actual art that inspired them.
This upcoming presentation will be held in conjunction with the DMA’s Late Nights program, held on the third Friday of each month, when the museum is open until midnight. General admission is $10 or less, and DMA members and children under 12 are admitted free.
The Audio Tour will start at 8 p.m. in the Center of Creative Connections. The visitors will be lead by UT Dallas’ students through the galleries of the museum to the selected artworks, in front of which the soundscapes will be then played.
Students and Frank Dufour will explain the various options chosen to “translate” art into sounds and music.
- University Establishes Brettell Award in the Arts in Honor of Educator
- New Living Learning Community to Help Female Students Gain STEAM
- 19th-Century Photo Technique Comes into Focus at Comer Lecture
- ATEC Undergrad’s Artistic Pursuits Lead to Game Industry Scholarship
- ATEC Alumnus Gabriel Dawe Creates Colorful Illusions for Exhibit
More From Sound Design
- Interdisciplinary Literature Come Together in ATEC Lab’s New Online Reading Platform
- Collaborative Minds Bringing Sounds to Brain Data in Yearlong Project
- ATEC Professor’s Exhibition Named Best in Dallas
- ATEC Students Design Sound for New Perot Museum
- “Acoustic Shadows, Transformations” Conference with Cast and Crew at the DMA