Prof Believes New Media Are Changing Academia
Lecture by Digital Culture Expert to Discuss Ramifications for Universities
Are academic libraries as we know them relics of the past?
The rapidly changing structure of information flow has brought into question the relevancy of certain academic institutions, says Dr. David Parry, an assistant professor at UT Dallas.
Parry, who specializes in emerging media, digital culture and literary theory in the School of Arts and Humanities, will discuss his viewpoints in a free public presentation titled, “The University and the Future of Knowledge,” at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 9.
The event, part of the McDermott Library Lecture Series, and will be held in the McDermott Suite located on the fourth floor of the library. The presentation is also part of the 40th Anniversary Celebration of the establishment of UT Dallas.
“Scholars estimate that every 15 minutes, the amount of information produced online equals that housed in the 200-year history of the Library of Congress,” he says. “What were once powerful intellectual institutions are now being made irrelevant by the new structure of information flow. Wikipedia replaces Britannica, newspapers are crumbling, and students admit that they complete a college education without stepping foot in the library.
“In this rapidly changing knowledge, what is the role of the university? And perhaps more importantly, what is the future of knowledge production, dissemination, and archivization?”
- New Living Learning Community to Help Female Students Gain STEAM
- 19th-Century Photo Technique Comes into Focus at Comer Lecture
- ATEC Undergrad’s Artistic Pursuits Lead to Game Industry Scholarship
- ATEC Alumnus Gabriel Dawe Creates Colorful Illusions for Exhibit
- ATEC Team Receives Healthy Dose of Grants for Virtual Medical Work
More From EMAC
- Interdisciplinary Literature Come Together in ATEC Lab’s New Online Reading Platform
- UX Design Marks Its Spot as Growing Career Path for ATEC Students
- EMAC Professor Earns System Teaching Award
- Study Explores How Trustful Online Gamers Are with Their Information
- Unconventional Olympians: EMAC prof to present talk on media project