ATEC Prof Stages Audiovisual Exhibit in France
‘Acoustic Shadows’ Installation Explores Movement of Silent Objects
With a new exhibition in France, Dr. Frank Dufour, assistant professor of sound design in UT Dallas’ Arts and Technology (ATEC) program, has officially gone global.
“Acoustic Shadows: An Exploration of Sense of Space” is an experimental interactive sound installation Dufour created alongside wife Kristin Lee through the entity Agency 5970. The piece is currently on display at The Vasarely Foundation in Aix-en-Provence, France. Dufour worked on the sound and music aspects, while his wife tackled the visual side.
Two ATEC graduate students have been working with the Dufours: PhD student Sherri Segovia as choreographer and graduate student Djakhangir Zakhidov as videographer.
Of the installation, Dufour said, “It is an immersive audiovisual environment that senses and responds to the presence and movements of the spectators on the basis of the concept of ‘Acoustic Shadows.’ ”
Dufour describes the latter as “the auditory perception of the movements of silent objects and bodies by means of the changes they cast on a background sound.”
The installation was designed to exemplify the phenomenon and make it known to a wider audience.
“Exhibiting in France is great, but our ultimate goal is to present this work here in the U.S.,” Dufour acknowledged.
Dr. Dennis Kratz, dean of the School of Arts and Humanities at UT Dallas, said, “Professor Dufour’s ingenious and vital contribution to the marriage of technology and art is its focus on the artistic possibilities of sound in not only its most sophisticated, but also its most basic aspects.”
- 19th-Century Photo Technique Comes into Focus at Comer Lecture
- ATEC Undergrad’s Artistic Pursuits Lead to Game Industry Scholarship
- ATEC Alumnus Gabriel Dawe Creates Colorful Illusions for Exhibit
- ATEC Team Receives Healthy Dose of Grants for Virtual Medical Work
- ATEC to Raise HIV/AIDS Awareness with Week of Interactive Events
More From Sound Design
- Interdisciplinary Literature Come Together in ATEC Lab’s New Online Reading Platform
- Collaborative Minds Bringing Sounds to Brain Data in Yearlong Project
- ATEC Professor’s Exhibition Named Best in Dallas
- ATEC Students Design Sound for New Perot Museum
- “Acoustic Shadows, Transformations” Conference with Cast and Crew at the DMA