Diane Garst Walsh

Clinical Lecturer

MS, The University of Texas at Dallas

Language Science, Speech Science

CR 1.530

972-883-3610 phone

diane.walsh@utdallas.edu email

About Diane Garst Walsh

I completed my education in speech-language pathology at the University of New Mexico (BA, 2002) and The University of Texas at Dallas (MS, 2004). I worked in a variety of clinical settings and as a research coordinator studying speech production in apraxia of speech. January 2009, I joined the clinical faculty at UT Dallas and currently teach undergraduate courses and supervise graduate students working with adults with disabilities, dementia and neurogenic speech-language disorders. I am involved in clinical research for speech production and discourse processing in adults with neurogenic communication disorders.

Research Interests

• Neurogenic language and speech motor disorders in adults
  • Discourse production in aphasia and right hemisphere dysfunction
  • Collective memory and identify in Holocaust survivors and American veterans of World War II

Recent Publications

Ulatowska, H., Reyes, B., Olea-Santos, T., Garst, D., Vernon, J., Mak, K, & Graham, K. (accepted). Production and comprehension in aphasia: Gains and pitfalls in using macrostructure tasks in Aesop's fables. International Journal of Speech Language Pathology.

Ulatowska, H., Reyes, B., Olea-Santos, T., Garst, D., Vernon, J. & McArthur, J. (in-press) Personal narratives in aphasia: Understanding narrative competence. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation.

McNeil, M., Katz, W., Fossett, T., Garst, D., Szuminsky, N., Carter, G., & Lim, K. (2010). Effects of on-line augmented kinematic and perceptual feedback on treatment of speech movement in apraxia of speech. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 62, 127-33.

Katz, W., McNeil, M. & Garst, D (2010). Treating apraxia of speech (AOS) with EMA-supplied visual augmented feedback. Aphasiology, 24, 826-837.