Assistant Professor

PhD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Social Cognition in Autism

GR 4.813

972-883-2541 phone

nsasson@utdallas.edu email

Development of Social Cognition Lab website

About Noah Sasson

Noah Sasson received his PhD in Developmental Psychology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC) in 2005. He has held post-doctoral research fellowships at the Neurodevelopmental Disorders Research Center at UNC, the Brain Behavior Laboratory at the University of Pennsylvania, and the Center for Autism Research at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. His work investigates the development of the perception, processing and interpretation of social information.

Research Interests

My research attempts to understand the perceptual and cognitive mechanisms that contribute to social dysfunction in Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). By comparing the visual attention patterns of individuals with and without ASD as they view stimuli and engage in various social cognitive tasks, I hope to gain insight into how different people perceive and process social information. The ultimate goal of my work is to identify specific factors underlying impairments in social functioning that may be amenable to treatment and intervention. I am also interested in how these factors may differ from those in other disorders (e.g., Schizophrenia) that are diagnostically and etiologically distinct from ASD but overlap in aspects of social dysfunction.

Additionally, I conduct research that examines repetitive behaviors and restricted interests in ASD. Some of my recent work, for example, has involved quantifying the nature of circumscribed interests in ASD and whether the presence of these interests interferes with other normative developmental processes.

Recent Publications

Sasson, N. J., Faso, D. J., Parlier, M., Daniels, J. L., & Piven, J. (in press). When father doesn't know best: selective disagreement between self and informant-report of the broad autism phenotype in parents of a child with autism. Autism Research.

Faso, D. J., Sasson, N. J., & Pinkham, A. E. (in press). Evaluating posed and evoked facial expressions of emotion from adults with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.

Shasteen, J. R., Sasson, N. J., & Pinkham, A. E. (2014). Eye tracking the face in the crowd task: why are angry faces found more quickly? PLoS ONE, 9(4): e93914. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0093914

View more