The psychological sciences PhD program at UTD possesses many strengths that make it an excellent choice for doctoral training. From the start of their training, students are actively engaged in research laboratories with a faculty mentor. Professional development is facilitated through school colloquia, regular brown bag series, presentations at professional meetings and guidance in the development of teaching skills.
STRENGTHS OF THE PROGRAM
- Highly accomplished faculty with grant-supported research.
- Close mentoring relationships between students and faculty.
- Students awarded Graduate Teaching Assistantships are supported for 4 years given that they maintain satisfactory progress.
- Travel support to national professional conference available for authorship on conference presentations.
- Strengths in developmental, cognitive and social/personality psychology, with extensive opportunities for interdisciplinary study within the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences (e.g. neuroscience, communication disorders, audiology) as well as within the university as a whole (e.g. School of Economic, Political & Policy Sciences; Erik Jonsson School of Engineering & Computer Science).
- Exceptional research facilities, including access to neuroimaging facilities and laboratories equipped to examine ERPs, eye movements, infant visual and auditory preferences, parent-child interactions, and more.
- Focuses both on theoretical and applied research, with strong community ties.
- State-of-the-art training in research methods and quantitative skills.
- Faculty and students affiliate with and conduct research at research centers that focus on areas of their particular interest. Each of the affiliated research centers are listed below, and more information about each center can be found by clicking on the center's name.
- The Center for Children and Families promotes optimal development of children and families through research, practice, and outreach.
- The Callier Center for Communication Disorders conducts research and provides advanced evaluations and treatment for children and adults with a wide variety of speech, language, and hearing disorders.
- The Center for BrainHealth focuses on how to understand, protect, and heal the brain.
- The Center for Vital Longevity uses advanced brain-imaging technologies and research techniques in cognitive neuroscience to understand, maintain, and improve the vitality of the aging mind.