Section 2: Privacy Officer
Effective Date: April 14, 2003
Last Revision: July 24, 2006
It is the policy of The University of Texas at Dallas to comply with 45 CFR § 164.530 (a) (1). Accordingly, the President will designate a Privacy Officer to be responsible for the development and implementation of HIPAA privacy policies and procedures.
- Privacy Officer. The President has designated the Chief Human Resources Officer to serve as the HIPAA Privacy Officer.
- Job Description. The responsibilities of the Privacy Officer include:
- Coordination and oversight of compliance with HIPAA;
- Serving as the Chair of the HIPAA Compliance Steering Committee;
- Designation of a Contact Person to provide information about matters covered by the notice of privacy practices, and responsible for receiving, responding to, and documenting complaints from patients, employees, business associates, and others regarding UTD’s privacy practices;
- Maintenance of documentation of privacy personnel designations and duties, including those for the Privacy Officer, the Contact Person and members of the HIPAA Compliance Steering Committee;
- Coordination of annual privacy risk assessments and other audits of compliance;
- Development, implementation and maintenance of privacy policies and procedures;
- Coordination and documentation of privacy training;
- Serving as the information privacy liaison to the UTD Institutional Review Board (IRB);
- Coordination of HIPAA privacy compliance activities; and
- Consulting on the review of relevant business associates contracts.