Strategy Training and Response to Therapy (START) is for children ages 18 months to five years who are newly diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder and who have received autism assessments through Children’s Medical Center.
The program is a partnership between the UT Dallas Callier Center, UT Southwestern Medical Center and Children’s Medical Center of Dallas. START is made possible by a grant from Crystal Charity Ball.
At the Callier Center, licensed speech-language pathologists with specialized expertise in working with young children with autism spectrum disorders will assist parents by:
- Talking with them about their child’s specific strengths and challenging areas, and setting goals for their child.
- Trying different therapeutic techniques to see which strategies are most effective for facilitating communication and play skills.
- Working with them to facilitate positive communicative interactions.
- Planning ahead for next steps in therapeutic programming, as well as discussing other resources and referrals, in partnership with their case manager.
Each session includes:
- Parent training.
- Therapeutic intervention.
- Home program activities.
- Suggestions for follow-up.
June 19 to July 24
10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Callier Center Dallas
1966 Inwood Road
$780 for the 6-week session
Insurance and Medicaid may be accepted.
Sliding scale fees and scholarships may be available.
Suzanne Bonifert at 214-905-3129 or [email protected]