Explore the WOW!
Externship/Job Shadowing Program
Participation in the Externship/Job Shadowing Program gives you a firsthand look at the workplace in a career of your choice, makes valuable networking contacts and provides the opportunity to see how classroom learning can be applied to real world situations.
The primary goal of this program is to provide you with a structured, hands-on opportunity to experience the “world of work” without the longer term commitment of an internship or job.
Through exposure to a work setting, you will learn more about job requirements, employer expectations, and professionalism. You also benefit by finding out more about current and future internship and job openings.
Follow these instructions
Registration for the Explore the WOW (World of Work) job shadowing/externship program for all undergraduates opens on Friday, Dec. 5th.
Students will register via the Registration Form, using these steps to Sign Up:
- View the Externship Opportunities here or within the registration form (opportunities are on the 2nd page): Registration Form
- Fill out and submit the Registration Form. You will receive an immediate email confirmation of your Externship registration submission.
Possible externship/job shadowing activities
- Tour the facility
- Sit in on staff meetings
- Observe customer/client interactions, if applicable
- Conduct informational interviews with colleagues and/or key staff members
- Assist with projects or general office tasks
- Overview of company mission and procedures
- Visit with the Human Resources Department and/or meet with recruiters
- Introduce extern to a new employee to give him/her a “fresh perspective”
- Meet with UT Dallas Alumni who work at the organization
- Provide marketing materials about company/organization for student
- Demonstrate industry-specific software or tools
The Externship/Job Shadowing program formally takes place during the Spring Break week in March. Sponsoring organizations may host externs for 1-5 days during the break. You may also choose to arrange an externship experience on your own at a different time of the year.