Hiring a Student Employee
Posting a Position
All on-campus hourly (S09996 and S09997) student jobs MUST be posted via CometCareers, and all Research and Teaching Assistant positions will be managed by Human Resources. Please use the UT Dallas CometCareers Guide for Employers as a tool to assist you in creating your job posting. If you do not have a CometCareers account, please email us and include the following information:
- Your Name
- Organization and/or department (e.g., UT Dallas Career Center)
- Phone Number
- Fax Number
Please complete the following fields for all on-campus job postings:
- Number of openings
- Work-Schedule (e.g., M-F, during normal business hours)
- Hours per week
- Employment Start Date
- Employment End Date
- Job description
- Application Instructions
NOTE: “Employment Start Date and End Date” are not the dates the posting will be open.
The Hiring Process
|Collect & Review Resumes|
Collecting & Reviewing Resumes
Students will send their resumes electronically in response to the job(s) you have posted. You will access CometCareers to review submitted resumes. After you have reviewed resumes, you will personally contact the student(s) you wish to interview.
|Conduct an Interview|
The department is responsible for scheduling and conducting interviews with students. The Career Center does not prescreen any student candidates. It is recommended that the following items be discussed with students during the interview:
- Detailed description of job duties (beyond those listed in the job description)
- Personal conduct and dress expected of the student
- Hours of operation, student's weekly schedule, and start date
- Rate of pay for the position
|Make a decision|
Once the department selects their candidate, follow the steps below:
- Have the student complete the Criminal Background Check (CBC) - the bottom section will be completed by the Career Center
- The hiring department will complete the Hiring Proposal Form
- Both forms can be emailed to the Student Employment Coordinator, mailed via Campus Mail - Mailstop SSB 31, or delivered in person to our office – SSB 3.300
*Note: It is recommended to have all interviewed candidates complete the CBC as part of their interview, but you will only submit the CBC for the student you intend to hire..
Once the Career Center has received these documents, the following procedures will take place:
- The Career Center will submit the CBC to the Police department.
- After receiving a cleared CBC, the Career Center will extend the offer, via email, to the student based on the information given in the Offer Letter form
- If the student accepts the position, they MUST come to the Career Center to complete the following forms ON or BEFORE their first day of work:
- Direct Deposit
- Conditions and Regulations
- Selective Service Verification
- Personal Data Form
*Note: Departments will be responsible for completing the Personal Action Form (PAF) and any forms that will give the student specific access to department materials (i.e., CAR forms)
A background check must be conducted on any applicant, internal or external, who is under final consideration, following normal screening and selection processes, for any position with U.T. System Administration. U.T. System Administration may rely on a criminal background check conducted at U.T. System Administration within the past twelve (12) months, if there is not a break in service of more than six (6) months and the CBC relied on is appropriate for the position sought. The background check must be completed prior to a job offer being made. This form can be found at the Human Resources website. It is recommended that all interviewed applicants be asked to complete this form.
- Have the applicant complete, sign, and date the form.
- Send the completed form directly to the Career Center
- The Career Center will complete the section labeled "This Section To Be Completed By the Employing Department" at the bottom of the form
- The Career Center will be notified after the background check is completed
- If the applicant is cleared, the Career Center will proceed with the offer for employment. If the applicant is not cleared for hire, the Career Center will notify the department