Hiring a Student Employee
Posting a Job Opening
All on-campus student job postings should be posted via CometCareers. Please use the UT Dallas CometCareers Guide for Employers as a tool to assist you in creating your job posting. If you do not have a CometCareers account, please email and include the following information:
- Your Name
- Organization and/or department (e.g., UT Dallas Career Center)
- Phone Number
- Fax Number
With any on-campus job posting, we will need the following fields to be field out:
- Number of openings
- Work-Schedule (e.g., M-F, during normal business hours)
- Hours per week
- Employment Start Date
- Employment End Date
- Job description
- Application Instructions
NOTE: “Employment Start Date and End Date” are not the dates the posting will be open.
The Hiring Process
|Collecting & Reviewing Resumes|
Collecting & Reviewing Resumes
Students will send their resumes to you electronically in response to the job or jobs you have posted. You will access CometCareers to review the submitted resumes. After you have reviewed them, you will personally contact the students you wish to interview.
The department is responsible for scheduling and conducting the interview with the student. The Career Center does not prescreen any of the student candidates. It is suggested that the following items be discussed with the student during the interview:
- Detailed description of job duties (beyond those listed in the job description)
- Personal conduct and dress expected of the student
- Hours of operation and the student's weekly schedule, including start date
- Rate of pay for the position
When the department is ready to offer the position, it is the responsibility of the department to contact the student and offer him/her the position.
If the available position is a work-study position, please verify that the student you wish to hire has been awarded work-study funds by emailing email@example.com prior to offering the position to the student.
If the work-study student you are hiring has indicated he/she has worked somewhere else on campus during that same award year, part of that student's award will have already been used. You will need to verify the amount of the award still remaining.
If you want to hire a student for more than 50% time, please contact the Career Center prior to offering the position to the student for verification that the student meets the Quantity of Work Rule.
Criminal background checks are required for all students who are hired into security sensitive positions. The background check must be completed prior to a job offer being made. The form can be found at the Human Resources website. It is recommended that all applicants you interview be asked to complete this form.
- Have the applicant complete, sign, and date the form.
- The department should complete the sections labeled "This Section To Be Completed By the Employing Department" at the bottom of the form
- Be sure to use "Student Worker" or "Work-Study Student" in the Posted JobTitle.
- Send the completed form directly to the UT Dallas Police Department.
- The hiring department will be notified after the background check in completed.
- If the applicant is cleared, the department may proceed with the offer of employment. If for any reason, the applicant is not cleared for hire for the position, the department may NOT tell the applicant the reason.
|Reporting Your Hires|
Reporting Your Hires
Departments are asked to report the names of their student hires to the Student Employment Coordinator each semester. The Student Employment Coordinator is required to maintain a record of the job description, name of hired student, rate of pay, number of hours and date of hire for all student employees.