Work-study is a federal or state funded program that provides supplemental funding to on-campus departments, or approved off-campus employers, who hire qualified students. Through work-study, the hiring department or employer pays 25% of students’ earnings and the Federal/State Government pays 75% of students’ earnings.
The Career Center manages all work-study positions, on and off campus. All hiring paperwork for work-study students, as well as all payroll reporting, is handled through the Career Center. Please click the link below to find instructions for hiring and paying your work-study students:
|Submitting Personnel Action Forms (PAFs) for students with work-study funding.|
Only PAFs for students on work-study should be delivered or mailed to Elaine White, Career Center (SSB 3.300 or SSB31) for completion and signature.
- Job Group=Z
- Enter the Job Begin and End Dates and the full-time equivalent (FTE) as appropriate. Job begin date cannot be earlier than September 4, 2012, or later than May 10, 2013.
- Leave HRS Position Numbers blank on all PAFs for work-study students. Student Employment Coordinator Elaine White will assign work-study position numbers to all work-study students. Work-study position numbers will be owned by the Career Center, not the hiring department.
- The job class for work-study positions is S09996, Student Work-Study.
- Enter the Hourly Rate you have agreed to pay the student employee.
- Assignment and funding:
- 1) cost center is 61055021 with 75 percent charged to the account (.75 distribution);
- 2) cost center is your department cost center with 25 percent charged to the account.
- Include your department number next to your name in the "Prepared By" field.
Please note: When transferring work-study students to student worker positions, use job code S09997 and the student’s departmental position number. Do not continue using the work-study position number assigned by the Career Center.
* 100 percent of any employer taxes related to work-study positions will be charged to your departmental cost center.
|Timesheet processing instructions for students in work-study positions.|
The Career Center will complete and submit payroll spreadsheets for work-study hours only. You will, however, still report hours to Payroll for student employees who are NOT being subsidized by work-study funds.
- All work-study timesheets/adjustments must be submitted by encrypted email to firstname.lastname@example.org or delivered directly to the Career Center (SSB 3.300) no later than 12 p.m. one day after the pay period end date. For assistance with email encryption, contact Information Security at 972-883-6810.
- Example: Pay period dates are Sunday, August 26, 2012, through Saturday, September 8, 2012. Timesheets are due to the Career Center no later than 12 p.m., Monday, September 10, 2012.
- Include the student’s UTD ID, legal first name (no nicknames), last name, pay rate on each timesheet.
- Since the official start date for work-study positions is Tuesday, September 4, 2012, all hours worked before that date are considered non-work study hours and must be paid for and reported by the hiring department.
- Students will not be paid until the next pay period if timesheets are late.
For assistance with this process, contact Student Employment Coordinator Bill Howard at 972-883-6195.