Work-study is a federal or state funded program that provides supplemental funding to on-campus departments, or approved off-campus employers, who hire qualified students. Through work-study, the hiring department or employer pays 25% of students’ earnings and the Federal/State Government pays 75% of students’ earnings.
The Career Center manages all work-study positions, on and off campus. All off-campus hiring paperwork for work-study students, as well as all payroll reporting for all work-study students, is handled through the Career Center.
Click here for additional information on our Work-Study Program.
Please click the links below to find instructions for hiring and paying your work-study students:
|Submitting Personnel Action Forms (PAFs) for students with work-study funding.|
Only PAFs for work-study students should be delivered or mailed to Bill Howard, Career Center (SSB 3.300 or SSB31) for completion and signature.
- Job Group=S
- Enter the Job Begin and End Dates and the full-time equivalent (FTE) as appropriate. Job begin date cannot be earlier than August 18, 2013, or later than May 15, 2014.
- Leave HRS Position Numbers blank on all PAFs for work-study students. Student Employment Coordinator, Bill Howard, will assign work-study position numbers to all work-study students. Work-study position numbers will be owned by the Career Center, not the hiring department.
- The job class for work-study positions is S09996, Student Work-Study.
- Enter the Hourly Rate you have agreed to pay the student employee.
- Assignment and funding:
- 1) cost center is 61055024 with 75 percent charged to the account (.75 distribution);
- 2) cost center is your department cost center with 25 percent charged to the account.
- Include your department number next to your name in the "Prepared By" field.
Please note: When transferring work-study students to student worker positions, use job code S09997 and the student’s departmental position number. Do not continue using the work-study position number assigned by the Career Center.
* 100 percent of any employer taxes related to work-study positions will be charged to your departmental cost center.
|Timesheet processing instructions for students in work-study positions.|
The Career Center will complete and submit payroll spreadsheets for work-study hours only. You will, however, still report hours to Payroll for student employees who are NOT being subsidized by work-study funds.
- All work-study timesheets/adjustments must be submitted by encrypted email to firstname.lastname@example.org or delivered directly to the Career Center (SSB 3.300) no later than 5:00 p.m. on the Friday before we submit our spreadsheet to payroll on the following Tuesday. If your student works on Saturday, please have their timesheets submitted no later 5:00pm on the following Monday. For assistance with email encryption, contact Information Security at 972-883-6810.
- Example: Pay period dates are Sunday, April 21, 2013, through Saturday, May 4, 2013. Timesheets are due to the Career Center no later than 5 p.m., Friday, May 3, 2013. If your student worked on Saturday, their timesheet would be submitted no later than 12:00 p.m. on Monday, May 6, 2013. .
- Include the student’s UTD ID, legal first name (no nicknames), last name, pay rate on each timesheet.
- Since the official start date for work-study positions is August 18, 2013, all hours worked before that date are considered non-work study hours and must be paid for and reported by the hiring department.
- Students will not be paid until the next pay period.
For assistance with this process, contact Student Employment Coordinator Bill Howard at 972-883-6195.