What is group counseling?
Group counseling provides an opportunity to improve personal skills, develop increased confidence, overcome blocks to personal effectiveness, and acquire a keener awareness and appreciation of interactions with others. In a group setting, a small group of peers and co-facilitators meet weekly to provide feedback and support for self-improvement. Group members are encouraged to explore and express feelings, examine belief systems, reflect on and receive feedback about patterns of behavior, and work toward making healthy changes. In order for group counseling to be effective, active participation is encouraged. Participation involves regular attendance and respectful, honest communication. Groups may focus on a specific topic or may be general with an emphasis on personal growth. Typically group members will be working on a variety of issues. Groups meet weekly for one to two semesters.
Spring 2017Group Therapy Offerings
Healthy U: Coping Skills Workshops
*Please plan to arrive 10 minutes prior to start of session*
- Mondays, Thursday, and Fridays at 11:00am
Interpersonal Process Groups
- Global Connections: International Student Conversation Group with Donnalin and Wenzhen (meets in Libra Room, SU 1.614)
- Healthy Relationships Group with Mallaree and Brittany
- Dissertation Support with Jim and Sadie
- Expressive Arts Therapy with Laura and Danica
- Mindfulness Group with Brittany and Evan
- Personal Growth Group for Men with Laura and Archandria
- Sexual Identity and Expression Group with Donnalin and Erin
- Women of Color Discussion Group with Archandria and Sneha (meets in Multicultural Center Conference Room, SSB 2.400)
- Grief Group with Archandria and Arubah
- Voices of Courage: Female Survivors of Sexual Trauma Group with Jenna and Sneha
- Graduate Student Process Group with Spencer and Wenzhen
All group services are FREE and confidential.
For more information or to schedule a group screening:
Come by: SSB 4.600
Email: Archandria Owens, Ph.D., Group Services Coordinator at [email protected]