Student Diversity Award Information
News and Events
Deadline: Friday, February 1, 2013
No Late Applications Will Be Accepted
Link to Online Student Diversity Award Application Form
Return completed applications to:
Office of Diversity and Community Engagement
800 West Campbell Rd., MP 26
Richardson, TX 75080
The Student Diversity Council's purpose is to provide the students' perspective, input and advice to the Office of Diversity and Community Engagement. The council will address the elements of student diversity, concerns, activities and programs to increase awareness and understanding of each other, and to move beyond simple tolerance to embrace and celebrate the rich dimensions of diversity contained within each individual. The group will be led by the principle that diversity is essential to reaching higher levels of excellence in the multicultural, multi- ethnic and diverse character of the United States in the 21st century.
Each year the Student Diversity Council and Office of Diversity and Community Engagement honor a student whose various actions and commitments exemplify diversity and community engagement.
Award Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must be undergraduate or graduate students at the University of Texas at Dallas and in good standing with the University. The student must:
- Exhibit leadership qualities in student organizations
- Possess a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Must inform the Scholarship Coordinator of any changes in my enrollment status (i.e. add/drop/withdrawal of classes).
- Must abide by all university rules and regulations, as well as, follow all guidelines listed in the UT Dallas Student Code of Conduct.
- Must volunteer for at least one Office of Diversity and Community Engagement event during the fall and spring semester of each year (beginning spring 2012). Events can be sponsored by the Office of Diversity and Community Engagement or any department that falls under its umbrella (Faculty Diversity, Community Engagement, Galerstein Women's Center, Multicultural Center, and Institutional Initiatives)
- Recommended but not required are the following:
- Documentation of 50 or more non-profit volunteer community service hours annually
- Mentoring of others to succeed
Award and Presentation
The award will be derived from proceeds generated by the Office of Diversity and Community Engagement. The recipient shall receive a UTD scholarship award valued at $1000. The award will be presented at the Diversity Awards Gala and Scholarship Fundraiser on Saturday, May 4, 2013.
Award Application Checklist
The following items must be submitted to be considered for the Diversity Award Program. Please submit 3 complete, unbound, single-sided print copies per application.
- Award Application Submitted Online containing:
- Brief biographical cover page
- One page resume
- One page essay answering: "What does diversity mean to you?"
- Two letters of recommendation (At least one academic reference is required)
- Valid documentation of community service hours, if applicable
- Proof of attendance at Office of Diversity and Community Engagement events
- Proof of a mentoring program of your choice if applicable
Award Deadline and Submission Requirements
The award deadline is Friday, February 1, 2013.
Applications must be fully substantiated and reflect a careful and conscientious evaluation of the applicant. Achievement should be explained in a way that can be easily understood and appreciated by the general public.
The Student Diversity Council shall convene as the selection board to review and evaluate all applications and select recipients using the criteria previously outlined. The selection board will make its decision solely on the content of the applications submitted.