Staff Diversity Award Information
News and Events
Deadline: Friday, February 1, 2013
No Late Applications Will Be Accepted
Return completed applications to:
Institutional Diversity Initiatives
Office of Diversity and Community Engagement
800 West Campbell Rd, MP 26
Richardson, TX 75080
The Diversity Award recognizes the special efforts of staff members, who strive to fulfill the UT Dallas commitment to embrace, enhance and celebrate diversity at all levels of the University and our community. The recipient shall have distinguished himself or herself through activities or actions that have contributed to diversity and inclusiveness at the University and/or in the broader community, state or world.
Purpose: To recognize University of Texas at Dallas employees who are making strides to understand, reach and include diverse and underrepresented audiences and promote inclusion
Diversity: Differences among people with respect to age, race, gender, physical ability, religion and other human differences
Inclusion: An organizational culture that incorporates mutual respect, acceptance, teamwork and productivity among people who are diverse
CriteriaExamples of efforts to address diverse and underrepresented faculty, staff, students and community include (but are not limited to):
- Must have volunteered for at least one Office of Diversity and Community Engagement event during the fall and spring semester of each year (beginning spring 2012). Events can be sponsored by the Office of Diversity and Community Engagement or any department that falls under its umbrella (Faculty Diversity, Community Engagement, Galerstein Women's Center, Multicultural Center, and Institutional Initiatives)
- Provided leadership and support for recruitment and retention of a diverse student body, especially for underrepresented groups at UT Dallas
- Served as a mentor and role model for underrepresented student groups at UT Dallas
- Personally or by extension of his/her work provided special assistance to underrepresented groups at UT Dallas
- Provided leadership and direction in building a culture of inclusion and an appreciation for multicultural values on our campus
- Provided leadership on committees or to organizations that promote fairness, equality, inclusiveness and appreciation of diversity and multicultural values at UT Dallas or in the larger community
- Personally or by extension of his/her work made a difference in the lives of students from many cultures
- Served as mentor and/or source of advice and encouragement for minority staff members, staff members with special challenges or women in STEM
- Organized, conducted and supported events, lectures or activities that promote cross-cultural understanding, inclusion and acceptance of individual and group differences
- Attended, conducted or sponsored training, seminars or conferences dealing with diversity issues
A nominee may be any UT Dallas staff member. Nominations can cite multiple diversity efforts. The recipient must be a part-time or full-time staff member. Nominations from faculty, staff and students will be accepted. Self-nominations are encouraged.
Award and Presentation
TThe Diversity Award will be presented at the Office of Diversity and Community Engagement's Diversity Awards Gala and Scholarship Fundraiser on Saturday, May 4, 2013 (date tentative). The winners will receive a $250 cash award, a plaque and program recognition.
The nominations will be judged by a committee appointed by the President of the Staff Council and Vice President of Diversity and Community Engagement. The committee will review the nominations, select a winner and report the winner to the University Committee for the Support of Diversity and Equity and Staff Council.
Guidelines for Nomination
Nominations will be evaluated for outstanding accomplishments in achieving and sustaining diversity and inclusion at UT Dallas. Written nominations must be included on the attached nomination form with no more than two additional pages of typed information. (Other forms of supporting materials, such as videotapes, newspaper clippings or publications will not be accepted or considered in the review process.)