Navigation by Audience


In accordance with the Risk Insurance for Camps and Clinics Involving Minors (UTDBP3012) policy, coordinators of all athletic and non-athletic camps and clinics are required to purchase special risk insurance prior to the first day of the camp or clinic.  The insurance can be obtained at affordable rates through the UT System Office of Risk Management.  

In addition, each participant is required to submit a Release and Indemnification Agreement for Minor or Adult Participant and a Medical Release and Information form for Minor or Adult Participant. The completed forms should be filed and maintained by the camp coordinator for a minimum of one calendar year unless they are required by other campus offices. Persons employed with UT Dallas prior to the camp or clinic are not required to complete these forms if the activity is sponsored by UT Dallas.

Furthermore, camp coordinators should exercise good judgment when hiring persons who will work with minors. Criminal background checks are required for all persons working with minors – including students and volunteers. Complimentary checks are conducted by the UT Dallas Police Department for UTD-sponsored camps/clinics only.

Texas state law SB1414 requires that counselors, volunteers and directors of any camp or activity that involves minors for more than one day must complete child-protection training.

The University offers a Child Protection Training course in eLearning for University camp counselors and staff. There also is a training module for third-party camp counselors, staff and volunteers to review. After review, take the child-protection exam and compare your answers to the ones found on the answer key. Afterward, print out this certificate, which acknowledges completion of the review materials. Forward the printed certificate to the camp or clinic director, coordinator or organizer.

Who is covered?
All persons who are included in the camp or clinic's official participant head count (including students, paid staff and volunteers)

What is covered?   
The maximum Medical Benefit pays for “eligible” medical expenses as a result of accidental injury, including related expenses incurred within a year of the date of the accident. “Eligible” expense means customary charges for the following necessary treatment and services: Medical and surgical care by a physician; radiology (X-Rays); prescription drugs and medicines; dental treatment of sound natural teeth; hospital care and service in semi-private accommodations, or as an outpatient; ambulance service from the scene of the accident; orthopedic appliances necessary to promote healing; physiotherapy. 

*It is important to note that policy benefits are secondary to the primary coverage that is available for each participant.

Frequently Asked Questions

Updated:August 26, 2011