International Applicants

In addition to the requirements for freshmen and transfer applicants, some additional steps are listed below for students who have attended a secondary or post-secondary institution outside of the U.S.

1. A minimum English proficiency score is required for all international student applicants from non-native English-speaking countries. The English proficiency requirement can be waived for students from countries whose government language is English and whose education has been in English.


Approved testing agencies and equivalent scores



TOEFL iBT (Internet-based) 80
TOEFL (Paper-based) 550
PTE 67
ELS Language Centers Pass Level 112


To be considered official, test scores must be from exams taken within two years of the intended semester of entry and sent directly from the testing agency either electronically or delivered in an unopened envelope sealed by the testing agency.

2.Freshman Applicants: Provide official, attested photocopies or certified copies of all high school transcripts, mark sheets or examination certificates showing the completion of 9th–12th grade graduation equivalent with grades/marks earned. Submit an official copy of final examinations taken at the end of the secondary school program, such as GCE ordinary-level and advanced-level examinations, school leaving certificates and matriculation exams.

The international acceptable academic document reference sheet may assist in identifying required documents by country of origin.

Transfer Applicants: If you have completed post-secondary coursework beyond high school from a college or university recognized by that country's Ministry of Education, the following must accompany the application:

  • Official, attested photocopies or certified copies of all previous university transcripts or semester mark sheets showing subjects completed, grades earned and dates of courses taken. Consolidated mark sheets are not acceptable.
  • If you have achieved a GCE A Level examination certificate, please provide an official, attested copy.
  • Official, attested photocopies or certified copies of the degree certificate or diploma showing the type of degree and date earned.
  • Copies of course syllabi or course descriptions.

3. If your documents are issued in a language other than English, you must submit a certified English translation of your academic documents. The translations must be from either the academic institution or from a certified translation company.

4. Pay the $50 non-refundable international credential fee (for applicants with transcripts, mark sheets or other academic credentials from international institutions).

For immigration advising and benefit processing, please refer to the International Student Services Office.

The University of Texas at Dallas | Office of Admission and Enrollment 1-972-883-2270
Student Services Bldg | 800 W. Campbell Rd, Richardson, TX 75080-3021 1-800-889-2443