IPA - Public Outreach
In addition to furthering UT Dallas' tradition of top-quality research on critical public affairs issues, the institute will offer a number of outreach activities to put the best available information into the hands of those who need it most.
- Sponsoring and participating in community forums
- Offering research-based training and consulting to municipal and local governments, as well as non-profit organizations
- Identifying and pursuing research topics relevant to the local community
- Developing individuals to become future city leaders through UT Dallas graduate and certificate programs
Below are a few examples of organizations that have turned to the Institute of Public Affairs for ideas and direction:
- Dallas AfterSchool Network - The IPA facilitated the strategic planning process for this young nonprofit organization, which is dedicated to improving the quality and quantity of after-school programming in the Dallas area. IPA staff helped board members and staff reinforce their mission and vision, establish strategic initiatives for the next three to five years and develop a tactical plan for accomplishing goals.
- U.S. Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Division of Medicaid & Children's Health - The IPA provided training for the regional office of this federal agency on a variety of topics, including change management, negotiation and conflict resolution, and formal and informal communications. Each interactive training session was customized to the specific needs of the agency and its staff.
- McKinney Performing Arts Center - The IPA compared the city-owned performing arts facility to other comparable venues around the Metroplex, assessing physical condition, programming, marketing, management, staffing and financial performance. The review also included an evaluation of the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats associated with the facility as reflected by interviews with community stakeholders.