“The world is all gates, all opportunities, strings of tension waiting to be struck.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Hometown: Rowlett, Texas (Hometown of Origin: Beirut, Lebanon)
Degrees: BA in Public Administration - American University of Beirut, Lebanon; MPA - American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Major: PhD - Public Affairs
Expected Graduation Date: May 2014
UT Dallas Achievements & Activities
- EPPS scholarship and assistantship, August 2011-Present
- Pi Alpha Alpha - The National Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration, Member (April 2012-present) and Treasurer (November 2012-present)
- The Archer Center Fellowship, Summer 2012
- The Golden Key International Honor Society, September 2012
- The Delta Epsilon Iota Academic Honor Society, October 2012
- PhD Research Small Grant, October 2012
- The Larry D. Terry Emerging Leaders Scholarship Award, November 2012
- The 2013 ASPA Founders;apos; Forum Fellow, March 2013
- The ASPA 2013 Section on Women in Public Administration (SWPA) Scholarship Award, March 2013
- The ASPA 2013 Section on Professional and Organizations Development (SPOD) Scholarship Award, March 2013
- ASPA Section on Professional and Organizational Development (SPOD), Board Member (student representative), April 2013 - Present
Deciding on Criminology
Public Affairs/Administration has not been a passing fancy for me, but a keen interest, manifested in my pursuit of public administration both as a field of specialization and as a career I sought for about eight years before joining the PhD program in fall 2010. Although I worked hard to get my job - Chief of Bureau/Financial Controller at the Lebanese Ministry of Finance - and I was quite successful in my career, I felt that I belong elsewhere, and that my potentials are far beyond the limits of my position. So, I decided to seek new horizons and to go for my long-lived dream of having a PhD in Public Affairs. And here I am.
My EPPS Success
I attribute my EPPS success, in first place, to my department and to the wonderful faculty members. Without their sincere and sustained support, encouragement, and appreciation, I wouldn't have achieved what I have achieved so far. It is, actually, their trust that pushes me forward to keep up the good work.
Plans for the Future
My top priority is to defend my dissertation, hopefully, by May 2014. Afterward, I am planning for a post-doc position in public budgeting or public management-related area. That will be a good opportunity for me to find and define my niche in the field.
Advice to Prospective EPPS Students
It is true to say that every one of us can give and become more than we are capable of giving and becoming if we are given the chance. However, we should not be passive waiting for "Godot," we should seek opportunities, and even chase them. "The world is all gates, all opportunities, strings of tension waiting to be struck." Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Apart from my interest in public affairs-related issues, I am also interested in arts, philosophy, literature (French Literature, in particular), and the evolution of human thoughts, concepts, and phenomena.