Public Policy and Political Economy
Welcome to PPPE! Our nationally recognized, interdisciplinary program offers training opportunities for undergraduate, masters, and doctoral students from internationally renowned faculty. We offer four degrees and one certificate:
- BA and BS in International Political Economy
- MS in International Political Economy
- Master of Public Policy
- PhD in Public Policy and Political Economy
- Graduate Certificate in Program Evaluation
With more than a half a million employees retiring from the government in the next five years, global components playing a larger role in business and non-profits seeking people with a broad perspective, our degrees will make you highly competitive in today's workforce and in the policy arena.
We prepare our students for research, teaching, and practitioner positions in academia, government, and industry. Our degrees offer internships, and provide critical analysis and communication skills that will help students succeed, regardless of constant changes in the political and economic world. Read about our current students here.
Faculty include UT Dallas’ only member of the National Academy of Sciences, Brian J. L. Berry, and two winners of the UT system Regents' Outstanding Teaching Awards, Jennifer Holmes and Clint Peinhardt. Read more about our faculty accomplishments here.
Current Student Achievements
- Our students have also received 50% of the university’s Fulbright, Boren, and Critical Language Scholarships since 2009.
- Our masters students have received two Presidential Management Fellowships since 2011 and two have been accepted into the Pathways Internship Experience Program (IEP) with the U.S. Department of State since 2013.
- Since 2009, IPE and MPP students have represented almost 16% of the Archer Fellowships to study public policy and obtain internships in Washington D.C. recipients (compared to being less than 1% of the student body). Archer placements have included the World Bank, the US Department of State, The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, the White House, and The Center for American Progress, among others.
- Since 2009, dozens of IPE students and PPPE students have received International Education Fund Scholarships (IEFS) for study abroad.
- Finally, in addition to jobs, perhaps the most telling success for students is professional publication. On average, two PPPE students get published every year.
Our alumni have had great success in job placement in government, industry, and in academia.
Recent Masters Placements:
- Foreign placement, such as Asesor at Alta Consejería Presidencial para Programas Especiales – Colombia, the Ministry of Public Administration – Mexico, and Finance and Business Comptroller for Grupo Coril – Lima, Peru, Proparco (Groupe Agence Française de Développement) – Brazil.
- The federal government, including the Department of Labor, Department of Housing and Urban Development, Foreign Service Officer, US State Department, Health and Human Services, etc.
Within the U.S., there are doctoral graduates on the faculties of universities at a variety of levels: University of Washington, University of California Berkeley, Arizona State, University of Alaska, Vanderbilt, James Madison University, Sam Houston State University, and others. Recent academic PhD placement include the following:
- Anáhuac University, Mexico City
- University of Alabama Huntsville
- Durham University – England
- SAIT Polytechnic, Canada
- Texas Tech
- Bates College
- BRAC University in Dhaka
- Rutgers Camden
- Kyonggi University
Recent PhD policy or government placement:
- World Bank
- GAO (multiple positions)
- U.S. Dept. of Commerce (multiple positions)
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- Bureau of Economic Analysis
Examples of recent internship placements:
- International Rescue Committee
- BBVA Compass
- Exxon Mobil
- Texas Instruments
- U.S. Department of State
For more information about our substantive research opportunities for our students, please feel free to contact the following faculty members.
- Development: Murray Leaf, Jonas Bunte, Lloyd Jeff Dumas, Donald Hicks, Jennifer S. Holmes
- International Conflict and Security: Jennifer S. Holmes, Lloyd Jeff Dumas
- International Political Economy: Clint Peinhardt, Jonas Bunte, Lloyd Jeff Dumas, Euel Elliott, Karl Ho, Murray Leaf
- Business, Technology & Innovation: Donald Hicks, Euel Elliott, Karl Ho
- Social & Health Policy: Dohyeong Kim,
- Program Evaluation: Dohyeong Kim, Simon Fass