Public Policy and Political Economy
Welcome to PPPE! Our nationally recognized, interdisciplinary program offers training opportunities for undergraduate, masters, and doctoral students from internationally renowned faculty. We offer four degrees and one certificate:
- BA and BS in International Political Economy
- MS in International Political Economy
- Master of Public Policy
- PhD in Public Policy and Political Economy
- Graduate Certificate in Program Evaluation
With more than a half a million employees retiring from the government in the next five years, global components playing a larger role in business and non-profits seeking people with a broad perspective, our degrees will make you highly competitive in today's workforce and in the policy arena.
We prepare our students for research, teaching, and practitioner positions in academia, government, and industry. Our degrees offer internships, and provide critical analysis and communication skills that will help students succeed, regardless of constant changes in the political and economic world. Read about our current students.
Faculty include UT Dallas’ only member of the National Academy of Sciences, Brian J. L. Berry, and two winners of the UT system Regents' Outstanding Teaching Awards, Jennifer Holmes and Sheila Amin Gutiérrez de Pineres. Read more about our faculty accomplishments here.
Current Student Achievements
- Our students have also received 50% of the university’s Fulbright and Critical Language Scholarships since 2009.
- Our masters students have received two Presidential Management Fellowships since 2011.
- Since 2009, IPE and MPP students have represented almost 16% of the Archer Fellowship recipients, although they comprise less than 1% of the student body. Archer fellows have studied public policy in Washington, D.C., and obtained internships at organization such as the White House, World Bank, the U.S. Department of State, The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, and The Center for American Progress, among others.
- Since 2009, 10 IPE students and one PPPE student have received International Education Fund Scholarships (IEFS) for study abroad.
- Finally, in addition to jobs, perhaps the most telling success for students is professional publication. Since 2009, eight PPPE students have published in peer -reviewed journals.
Our alumni have had great success in job placement in government, industry, and in academia.
Recent Masters Placements (since 2010):
- Foreign placement, such as Asesor at Alta Consejería Presidencial para Programas Especiales –Colombia, the Ministry of Public Administration- Mexico, and Finance and Business Comptroller for Grupo Coril - Lima, Peru.
- The federal government, including the Department of Labor, Department of Housing and Urban Development, U.S. State Department as Foreign Service Officers,Health and Human Services, and others.
Within the U.S., our doctoral graduates serve on the faculties of universities at a variety of levels: University of Washington, University of California Berkeley, Arizona State, University of Alaska, Vanderbilt, James Madison University, Sam Houston State University, Rutgers Camden, and others.
Recent academic PhD placement (since 2009):
- Anáhuac University, Mexico City
- University of Alabama Huntsville
- Durham University – England
- SAIT Polytechnic, Canada
- Texas Tech
Recent PhD policy or government placements include:
- World Bank
- GAO (multiple positions)
- U.S. Dept. of Commerce (multiple positions)
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
If you are an alumnus or alumna of our programs and would like to share news of your success, please contact Dr. Jennifer Holmes.