Social Data Analytics and Research
The mission of the Master of Science (MS) in Social Data Analytics and Research is to equip individuals with rigorous multi-disciplinary proficiency in methods of social data production, collection and investigation for which there is strong and increasing career demand by the public, nonprofit and private sectors, and by doctoral programs and other advanced research organizations.
The MS in Social Data Analytics and Research endows students with clear understanding of the contributions that rigor makes to creation, assembly, interpretation and analysis of social science data. It encourages reflection on core methods, theories and philosophical dimensions of social science practice. It fosters appreciation of the importance of applied social science in helping to shape public policy and action through participation in formation of new policies and programs or evaluation of strategies and interventions underway.
The MS in Social Data Analytics and Research orients itself to students wanting to apply social science concepts, principles and methods to a broad range of questions in research-related and other professional engagements in government, nonprofit and private sector settings that rely on social data for answers.
Graduates of the program will:
- Rigorously apply methods of social science research design and evaluation, including quantitative (e.g., experimental, quasi-experimental and naturalistic) and qualitative approaches in varied public, non-profit and private sector settings;
- Skillfully employ quantitative and qualitative analysis methods for social science data used in research by different types of public, non-profit and private sector organizations, and as appropriate understand and analyze large data sets;
- Harness acquired skills and capabilities in practice to sustain public, nonprofit and private sector organizations as they address pressing societal issues on both local and global scales;
- Interpret core theories and philosophical dimensions of social science practice, and promote ethical use of social science methodology;
- Justify the importance of applied social science in helping to shape public policy and action;
- Successfully build career paths in fields applying social data analytics and research.