Check & Cash Handling
Hand checks can be entered into Create-A-Check at any time during the day. The check is processed and printed immediately along with the voucher copy and a transaction record produced by the software.
The hand check is then entered into the Bank of America Positive Pay System by any of the three individuals having "approval" function listed below.
The manual check is then released in Positive Pay by one of the two individual having "release" function listed below.
The check is either mailed or delivered directly to the requestor. If it is hand delivered or picked up, it is signed for by the individual receiving the check.
The voucher packet is then forwarded to an AP clerk for data entry into the financial system.
Hand checks are filed separately from regular checks since they have their own sequence.
School of Arts & Humanities
PROCEDURES FOR TICKET SALES OF ART AND PERFORMANCE EVENTS
DURING THE WEEK: BOX OFFICE TICKET SALES RECEIPTS
Opening Box Office
- Cash box must be attended by UT Dallas employees ONLY
- The employee counts money (start up with $200) in cash box and signs Cash Distribution Log
- Check voice mail for messages, & return calls
- Dial 2000
- Mailbox is 2552
- Password is 2552
- To sell at ticket over the phone ask customer for:
- Name (first and last)
- Show to be attended
- Type of ticket (regular, child, faculty/staff, non-UTD student, etc)
- Seating preference
- Visa, MasterCard, or Discover to be used
- Card number
- Expiration date
- Last 3 digits on the back of the card (it is possible to run transactions without this number, if the customer can't read it or doesn't understand; call Events and Communications Manager)
- Zip code
- Phone number
- To get to the WinTix program:
- Log in to the laptop with your id
- Go to the Start menu
- Select Run
- Type \\utd-47654
- Select WinTix folder
- Select Tix6 folder
- Double click the blue & red WinTix application at the bottom of the folder
- Login is ____________________
- Password is ________________
- Be sure to label blue copies of credit slips by concert
- Settle the credit card machine at the end of the day
- All cash/checks/credit card receipts to be placed in cash box
- Checks must be payable to The University of Texas at Dallas
Closing Box Office
- Cash/checks/credit card receipts must be:
- Endorse check with The University of Texas at Dallas stamp
- All sales placed in cash box
- Cash box to be locked in Box Office file cabinet
- Lock door to Box Office
Next day, the Events and Communications Manager recounts money and signs log and prepares cash box by:
- Replacing cash box in file cabinet
- Logging and making copies of checks (see sample attachment?)
- Completing deposit slips indicating title of event and type of deposit (see sample attachment)
- Having an authorized individual recheck the amounts and sign deposit slips
- Delivering the cash/checks/credit card receipts with deposit slips to the Bursars' Office for deposit in Account 418161
- Filing deposit slips with in Events and Communications Manager and Art and Performance Administrative Assistant
HANDLING OF TICKET SALES THE NIGHT OF EVENT
- Cash box must be attended by UT Dallas employees ONLY
- The employees working the event counts money in cash box and signs Cash Distribution Log
- All cash/checks/credit card receipts are to be placed in cash box
- See above for processing credit card sales
- After event cash/checks/credit card receipts must be counted by two UT Dallas employees
- Cash box to be returned to Art and Performance office (AS1.106C) and placed in the Art and Performance safe
- On the day following the event, the Events and Communications Manager must:
- Recount cash/checks/credit card receipts
- Prepare deposit
- Log and make copies of checks
- Complete deposit slips indicating title of event and type of deposit
- Deposit slip signed by authorized individual
- Deliver the cash/checks/credit card receipts with deposit slips to the Bursars' Office for deposit in Account 418161
- File deposit slips with in Events and Communications Manager and Art and Performance Administrative Assistant
- Deposit slips are logged in the Art and Performance Administrative Assistant's Microsoft ACCESS database
The Administrative Assistant for the Art and Performance office must reconcile the Monthly Financial Reports produced by the FRS report with the division's deposit of ticket sales for that month
PROCEDURES RELATED TO THE HANDLING OF CHECKS FOR:
CONTRIBUTIONS TO "THE FRIENDS OF THE ARTS" AND DONATIONS TO "THE JONSSON PERFORMANCE HALL CHAIR FUND"
The Events and Communications Manager must process checks by:
- Endorsing checks payable to The University of Texas at Dallas
- Making copies of the checks
- Logging checks in Microsoft EXCEL database
- Delivering checks and credit card information slips to the Office of Advancement to be posted as contributions to the Friends of the Arts Account # 525252 or as donations to the Jonsson Performance Hall Chair Fund Account # 525199
- Filing copies of checks with the Events and Communications Manager and Art & Performance Administrative Assistant
The Events and Communications Manager must use the above procedure when receiving contributions/donations by credit card
Additionally, the Events and Communications Manager must send a monthly report of contributions/donations to the School of Arts & Humanities Administrative Services Officer, to the Graphic Designer to update Contributor's List for the event programs, and to the Associate Dean for the Arts to order nameplates Jonsson Performance Hall seats (if applicable).
The School of Arts and Humanities Administrative Services Officer must reconcile the Monthly Financial Reports produced by the FRS report with the monthly list of contributions/donations provided by the Art and Performance Office.
School of General Studies
- The positions authorized to accept cash/or checks in the School of General Studies are the Dean, the senior administrative assistant, and administrative assistant I.
- A School of General Studies "check log" is used for the purpose of maintaining a permanent record of incoming checks. (Checks received as gifts to or as payments for service projects are immediately forwarded to the Development office or the Office of Sponsored Projects.)
- All checks accepted must be payable to The University of Texas at Dallas. A restrictive endorsement must be placed on each check at the time of receipt.
- When funds are transferred from one person to another (even for a short period of time), they are counted in the presence of both parties. The amount should be recorded on a receipt and the receipt should be signed by the person accepting custody.
- Cash processing areas should be secured from entry to unauthorized individuals.
- Cash is stored in a locked drawer when not in use. Cash in unlocked drawers or boxes should never be left unattended.
- Cash receipts are deposited daily if receipts are $200 or more, and weekly even if accumulation is less than $200.
- Daily cash reports shall be prepared by the administrative assistant, reconciling the cash to receipts and accounting for overages and shortages. A consolidated cash report and the Departmental deposit prepared by the Administrative Assistant - I. The Dean and the senior administrative assistant reconcile Departmental deposits to the cash reports and to the Monthly Financial Reports produced by FRS (FBM 092).
- Cash overages and shortages must be reported on the Departmental deposit. Cash overages must be deposited. In addition, shortages and overages of $25 or more must be reported to the Office of Internal Audits. Losses involving possible theft or burglary should be reported to the University Police and Senior Vice President for Business Affairs immediately upon discovery.
- An administrative assistant who does not handle cash is responsible for verification reports weekly.
- It is the specific responsibility of the Dean to review cash handling documents which are prepared by personnel in the School. Anything that appears questionable should be investigated promptly. Normal trends in cash receipt levels should be monitored. If, without an apparent reason, the amount of cash receipts reported drops below the normal expected level for a period of time, the records should be carefully reviewed. Assistance from the Office of Internal Audits should be requested if needed.
School of Management
All checks/cash receipts for UTD's School of Management are processed by one of the following:
- Dean's Office (by Administrative Services Officer (ASO) or other individual designated by Budget Director)
- Executive Education (by Business Manager or designee) (NOTE: All credit card receipts are processed by Executive Education)
- UT Dallas Development Office
These Procedures pertain specifically to the School of Management's Dean's Office, and are in accordance with UTD's Cash Handling Procedures, pursuant to Business Procedure Memorandum #26.
- All checks must be made payable to The University of Texas at Dallas.
- A restrictive endorsement must be placed on each check at the time of receipt.
- Checks and/or cash will be stored in a safe, locked drawer or locked box until deposited.
- Checks/cash receipts should be deposited upon the day of receipt, if possible; however, if the total amount of all checks/cash receipts is less than $200 in aggregate, then they may be held up to but not to exceed one week.
- In the event that checks and/or cash are received for deposit by the ASO or designee from other School of Management personnel, then the funds will be counted in the presence of both parties; the amount will be recorded on a receipt; the receipt will be signed by the ASO or designee; and the receipt will be given to the person from whom the funds were received.
- The ASO or other designee will complete a Departmental deposit form, indicating the amount of each check, account number(s) to which each check is deposited, and name of company and/or individual grantor. The checks and/or cash and deposit form will then be hand-delivered to the Bursar's Office for deposit by the next business day. After the Bursar's Office has processed the deposit and returned the stamped deposit form to the ASO or designee, a copy of the form will be sent to each account manager whose accounts received a deposit. A copy will be forwarded to the Administrative Assistant for data entry; the copy will then be placed on file in the Dean's Suite.
- The Administrative Assistant or other designee will maintain a log of all deposits, as mentioned above, and will reconcile same to the monthly FRS reports, which will then be reviewed by the SOM Budget Director. Accounts that fall under the direct purview of someone other than the Dean (e.g., Center accounts and other individual accounts) shall be reconciled by the Account Manager or designee. Center Directors and others with individual accounts will be provided a copy of the deposit log, and will be responsible for reconciling their own account(s) against the log on a monthly basis, signing the log, and returning the signed original to the Budget Director's Office, where they will be reviewed and maintained on file in the Dean's Suite.
All invoices must note that the mailbox is SM11. This is a restricted mailbox that only the Business Manager's office has access to by key. Business Manager or designee will check the mailbox at least daily. If for some reason a check is received by an individual or program other than the Business Manager's office - checks must immediately be taken (unopened) to the Business Manager or designee for processing.
Business Manager or designee will assess to which program check is to be credited. Appropriate information will be entered in the "Check Log" which is maintained in the Business Managers designee's office. The log will be signed by the Business Manager or designee. The log indicates date opened, name of student, company name if check is paid on behalf of the student, and the amount of the check.
Checks must be payable to "The University of Texas at Dallas". A restrictive endorsement must be placed on each check at the time of receipt. Checks or cash will be stored in a safe, locked drawer or a locked box until deposited.
A Departmental deposit form will be completed by the Business Manager or designee. The form will have a breakdown of the student's name under received from, the amount of each check, the account number and name of the account, and the deposit total. Under the revenue description column, the check number and the company's name if the check is paid on behalf of the student will be entered. The deposit will then go to the Bursar's Office for deposit by the next business day. A copy of the check and the Programs copy of the deposit slip will be forwarded to the appropriate Program daily. If the deposit is under $200, Business Manager or designee can accumulate the checks until the total amount is over $200 and then deposit. No check can be held any longer than one week. This procedure is to keep us in compliance with UTD's on-line Policy and Procedure for Cash Handling, http://www.utdallas.edu/utdgeneral/business/admin_manual/pdf/bpm26.pdf.
When the deposit form is returned from the Bursar's Office, Business Manager Designee will give the Program their copy of the deposit form. Business Manager Designee will keep a copy of the stamped deposit form. The date that the Bursar's Office received the deposit will be posted in the Check Log.
Each program is responsible for reconciling FRS to deposit records and Quickbooks each month. A copy of the check log will be presented to Programs for reconciliation. Programs must sign and return to Business Manager's office.
School of Brain & Health Science
Departmental Deposits for all funds are made when checks (or cash) are received as listed below:
- Human Development & Early Childhood Disorders Practicum (Toddler Playgroup) fund by Dean's Secretary in Dean's Office
- Communication Disorders Practicum fund by the Dean's Secretary in Dean's Office
- Other funds as necessary by Dean's secretary in Dean's Office
- A "check log" may be used in each office for the purpose of maintaining a permanent record of incoming checks/cash. (Checks/cash received for sales and services for which a receipt was written need not necessarily be recorded in a log.)
- All checks accepted may be recorded as received and must be payable to the University of Texas at Dallas. A restrictive endorsement (the appropriate fund number to which deposit is being made) must be placed on the back of each check at the time of receipt.
- Checks/cash are stored in a locked desk drawer or locked file cabinet until deposited.
- Checks/cash are to be deposited daily if receipts are $200 or more, and weekly even if accumulation is less than $200.
- In the Dean's Office, the Departmental Deposit form is prepared by the Dean's Secretary.
The A.A. is responsible for reconciling Departmental deposits to the "check log" book on a monthly basis. Monthly financial reports (F-21-F-53 and M-60) from Accounting are reviewed, initialed and filed in "check log" notebook. The Dean reviews these reconciled Accounting reports and initials them on a monthly basis.
The form, DIVISIONAL DEPOSIT, is completed (copy is retained for "check log" book) and taken to the Bursar's Office in the McDermott Library Building (downstairs) or to the Accounting Office, where it is accepted. A receipt copy of the Departmental Deposit form is given to the depositor by Bursar's Office or Accounting. The receipt copy is filed in "check log" book.
*Business Procedure memorandum No. 26 on UT Dallas Cash Handling procedures is in this Section.
LOCATIONS & ACCESSIBILITY
- A depository safe is located in the Student Organization Suite, Student Union 2.506, ext. 6551.
- The safe is equipped with two separate compartments. An outside door is available to drop items into one of the compartments without opening the safe. This feature helps to control how frequently the doors are opened.
- Each door is secured by its own electronic lock and key system that requires an alpha/numeric pass code. Codes for each lock are issued to full-time, staff managers and the Dean of Students. A current list of authorized users is located inside the safe.
CASH REGISTER DRAWERS:
- Two cash register drawers are used in daily operations. During regular weeks/hours of operation, one drawer is located in each of the two registers in THE PUB, Student Union 2.306, ext. 6670. This begins Monday at approximately 7:30 a.m. until Friday at approximately 6:30 p.m. The drawers are stored inside the safe on weekends, holidays, and any other non-operating dates.
- The cash drawers cannot be opened manually. Each employee that works as a cashier is issued a personal Employee ID that gives them the ability to operate the register. To open a register drawer a manager must physically assign a cashier in the system. One cashier per drawer is assigned at one time. Cashiers assume responsibility for the contents of their drawers for the duration of their shift. Only managers have the ability to assign a cash drawer.
- Drawers are only assigned when the cashier is present; never before their arrival. Drawer assignments are deactivated immediately at the end of each cashier's shift.
- Petty cash is kept on-hand to provide operating change for daily cash sales transactions. Specific amounts are established, for each location of petty cash. Each cash drawer contains cash used as point-of-sale operating change. The safe contains cash that is reserved as a "bank" that provides change for the two cash drawers. Use of petty cash for any other function, such as purchases or reimbursements, is prohibited. Petty cash policies, amounts, and location information is set within the guidelines established by Financial Services, and is reported as directed.
- Each manager is responsible for counting and logging petty cash amounts before and after a work shift. As a result, petty cash is accounted for prior to opening, periodically throughout the day, and at the closing of business by at least two responsible officials.
- Cash drawers are counted for accuracy by a manager prior to opening for business. Additionally, cashiers are responsible for counting their drawers prior to performing sales transactions. If a cash drawer is not scheduled for use the same day, the last cashier is responsible to verify the amount is correct.
CASH SALES COLLECTED
- Cash collected from sales by cashiers is placed inside the assigned drawer over the course of their shift. At the end of a cashier's shift, a manager prints a sales report, or checkout, indicating sales amounts, cash owed, etc. The manager on duty must count the cash on-hand while the cashier is present. Cash from sales is pulled from the drawer, including any cash over/short, and documented on the checkout report. The manager and the cashier must both sign the form once the drawer has been settled.
- Upon each checkout, the sales report and cash collected are placed in a money bag. The bags are then dropped into the safe until they will be prepared for deposit.
- At the end of each business day, the closing manager prepares all cash from sales for deposit. Each checkout is verified again for accuracy and compared to a system-generated sales report. The manager is responsible for preparing the deposit by consolidating cash, completing and signing a Departmental deposit slip, and placing into the safe.
- The opening manager is responsible for reviewing the contents of the deposit that has been prepared the night before. If the opening manager is also the preparer of the deposit, the next manager scheduled to arrive is then responsible. Upon verification, the manager is responsible to deposit the cash at the Bursar's Office immediately.
- Daily cash sales that are collected are deposited no later than the next immediate business day. Reconciliations and account activity are extensively reviewed by the Dean of Students.
CASH REGISTER DRAWERS:
- Cashiers notify a manager to receive additional operating change for their cash register drawer. The cashier is responsible for removing cash from the drawer to give to the manager.
- Managers collect money from the cashier prior to retrieving money from the bank inside the safe. An exact exchange occurs so that the amount of cash in the bank always remains the same. Managers give all change to the cashier to verify before returning it to the drawer.
PETTY CASH BANK:
- Change for the cash bank inside the safe is available at the Bursar's Office. At the closing of business, the manager on duty must determine what change is likely needed for the next day.
- A change order form requested by the Bursar's Office is filled out. The form indicates the amounts and denominations of change needed. The form and cash for the desired amount of change is separated and stored in the safe.
- The opening manager is responsible for verifying and completing the change order at the Bursar's Office.
- If necessary, change orders can be requested during business hours by a manager on duty. The same procedures are applicable.
Receipts are issued to any person submitting money to the Student Health Center at any time. All charges are based on the established fee schedule.
Deposits are prepared on a daily or weekly basis as to need. Amounts in excess of $200.00 over the drawer amount are to be deposited at the Bursar's office.
All checks received for payment of charges must be made out to UT Dallas Student Health Center and the check is to be stamped with the "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY" stamp immediately upon receipt.
Students who owe fees for returned checks or No Show fees will have the fees entered on their record and in a log book in the Health Center and a HOLD will be placed on the students University Record. When payment has been satisfied, a receipt will be issued to the student for payment and it will be documented in the log book. The HOLD on the University record will be cleared by the Health Center staff. The funds received will be placed in the cash drawer with the other daily receipts and will be deposited into the Student Health Center account through the Bursar's office.
CASH & CREDIT CARD TRANSACTIONS
In compliance with university policy and procedures, the Career Center has developed and implemented internal controls to protect against potential risk and loss related to cash and credit card transactions. Following is an outline of those controls:
- A receipt is to be completed for each in-person cash or credit card transaction, complete with customer signature and signature of staff member taking care of the transaction. The original goes to the customer; the first duplicate copy is attached to the cash, check or credit card receipt; and the second duplicate remains in the receipt book.
- Checks are to be endorsed with restrictive endorsement stamp.
- Be sure credit card receipts are also signed by the customer.
- Checks, cash and credit card receipts, attached to the appropriate written receipt copy, are given to the Administrative Assistant or Director/Associate Director immediately following the transaction.
- The Administrative Assistant (or Director/Associate Director) places all documents and cash in the cash box in a locked file drawer until time for a deposit to be made.
- The Administrative Assistant prepares appropriate deposit forms.
- The Director (or Associate Director) verifies and signs all deposits.
- The Administrative Assistant delivers deposits to the Bursar's office.
- Copies of deposit transactions are maintained in a locked file cabinet in Administrative Assistant's area or in the file room.
- All checks received via mail (mostly from employers for recruiting events and information sessions or from alumni for annual registrations) are delivered directly to the Administrative Assistant who verifies them with the staff member who has coordinating responsibility for the event or activity. Steps 2 through 9 above are then implemented.
The Administrative Assistant has possession of the cash box, which is kept in a lock box in a locked drawer. Only the Administrative Assistant, the Director and the Associate Director for Internal Operations have keys to this drawer and the lock box.
When an employer hosts an information session on campus and utilizes UTD's catering service, the Employer Relations Coordinator makes the arrangements with the Food Service Division and then invoices the employer for the costs. Some employers also pay by check when registering for the Career Expo or other recruiting events; coordinators of these events prepare and mail an invoice for the transaction. Copies of all invoices are given to the Administrative Assistant (AA). When the payment is received, the AA notifies the appropriate coordinator and attaches the paid invoice to the check, placing it in the cash box for deposit. Steps 2 through 9 under Cash and Credit Card Transactions above are then implemented.
Cash Handling Procedure
- To comply with state regulation, all cash must be handled correctly, with receipts to match money received. Employees are responsible for any missing money. Each employee must count and verify the starting balance before performing any transactions.
- The Regents Rules and Regulations states:
Chapter III, Section 1
1.3 "All money received shall be recorded and handled under appropriate accounting controls."
2.1 "Money received by all departments from all sources shall be deposited in the institutional business office using an official form. The deposits shall be daily if receipts are $200 or more, and weekly even if the accumulation is less than $200. The deposit shall be made in person by a Departmental representative to whom an official receipt is issued.
*As recommended by Internal Audits when receipts total more than $200 before the end of the first shift a deposit should be made at the end of that shift*
- In accordance with Business Procedure Memorandum No. 26, item #10, cash handling and record keeping functions will be handled separately by Departmental staff. This procedure involves reconciling deposits against actual numbered receipts received and recorded. Funds transferred from one person to another should be counted in the presence of both parties. The amount is recorded on a receipt and the receipt is signed by the person accepting custody.
- The receipt form is to be filled out completely by the attendant to ensure accuracy of all information. All applicable lines on the receipt must be filled in. The number receipt must correspond to the receipt log sheet that is filled out for each transaction.
- All checks are made payable to The University of Texas at Dallas. Upon receipt, checks are stamped with "For Deposit Only."
- A Departmental "check log" is kept for the purpose of maintaining a permanent record of incoming checks.
- The white copy of the receipt is turned in to the Bursar's Office along with the deposit. The yellow copy is retained for Departmental records and the pink copy is given to the payee.
- The cash till is secured at all times by the employee at the Control Desk.
- At the end of each shift, the employee responsible for the till makes a deposit that is verified by the Building Supervisor. The deposit is placed into the safe along with a summary sheet explaining the deposit and all shift transactions.
- The Director of Recreational Sports/ Facility Manager prepares deposits and completes the monthly Financial Report. Another employee should be present when the cash/checks are counted and the deposit sheet is prepared. The Director/Facility Manager should sign/date the deposit sheet which is also verified and signed by another employee.
- The Administrative Assistant should compare the monthly FRS report revenues/deposits to the source documents (Departmental Deposits).
Last Updated: August 17, 2012