Cellular Communication Device Allowance
A cellular communication device can be required by a supervisor for an employee under their supervision that meet the eligibility requirements, which include engaging in work-related travel, being frequently out of the office on University business, the employee’s duties requiring being “on call” for essential services and/or the employee being a member of key personnel needed in the event of an emergency.
The purpose of the Cellular Communications Equipment Policy is to provide guidance regarding the acquisition and use of cellular communications equipment and associated services for University business use. It is a monthly allowance funded from the employee’s department’s budget and is considered taxable income. It does not, however, qualify as compensation for Teachers Retirement System (TRS) or Optional Retirement Program (ORP) contribution purposes.
The Cell Phone Allowance Request must be completed, and the appropriate signatures acquired, then sent to the Budget office for processing.
- Who is eligible for the cellular communications equipment subsidy?
- Any approved employee. To be approved, an employee must have an official business need for the device (see policy for definition) and must have the approval of his/her department head and appropriate vice president, dean or executive director.
- Complete the Cell Phone Allowance Request and obtain the required approvals. If you have questions regarding this form, please call Payroll at ext. 2611.
- The amount of the subsidy is determined by your department head and is dependent on the projected usage for University business.
- Yes, subsidies are taxable and hence compensation is subject to required tax withholdings. For questions, regarding taxes, please contact Payroll at ext. 2611.
- If the approved form is submitted prior to the forms deadline (monthly or semi-monthly), your subsidy will be in effect the following pay period.
- Any carrier may be used.
- You may choose any plan. The amount you will be reimbursed will be determined by the projected usage for University business and by your department head.
- Bring it to Telecommunications Services with a completed Telecommunications Service Request to terminate service.
- The equipment may be transferred to the employee. For information on how to transfer your UT Dallas phone, contact Telecommunications Services, ext. 4800, or email email@example.com.
- Contract termination costs vary according to carrier. For information on the status of your contract, contact Telecmmunications Services, ext. 4800, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit the How-to section of the IR webpages (www.utdallas.edu/ir) for instructions to set up a Blackberry, iPhone or other device to receive UT Dallas email. If you have questions, please call the IR HelpDesk at 972-883-2911.
- In most cases, you will need to work directly with the carrier for resolution.
- UTD will pay only the agreed upon subsidy. If the amount of the subsidy needs to be changed, you will need to negotiate the amount with your department head and submit a new approved form.
Last Updated: August 24, 2012