Welcome to Financial Reporting and Accounting
The Financial Reporting and Accounting department is responsible for four areas: Financial Reporting, Treasury & State Accounting, General and Reconciliation Accounting, and Plant & Property Accounting.
It is the responsibility of the Financial Systems and Reporting section in the Office of Finance to provide accurate and timely services to our partners throughout the university. We work with University Management Systems to ensure that the Financial Reporting System functions properly, and that monthly and year-end closings are accurate and take place in a timely manner.
It is also our responsibility to provide end-users with financial systems training to help them understand the accounting structure as well as the different screens used to look up information and analyze accounts.
In addition, this section supplements the financial system by developing, implementing, and maintaining Financial Front-Ends and databases used for internal and external reporting such as Monthly Management Reports, Annual Financial Reports, and ad-hoc reports for executives.
Treasury & State Accounting
The Treasury & State Accounting function oversees the bank and investment accounts. This includes cash flow management and bank and investment account reconciliation and analysis. This function also ensures that UT Dallas complies with the State of Texas Office of Comptroller's accounting and financial reporting rules and regulations. It also analyzes, reports and reconciles UTD's financial transactions in the Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS) to the University's internal general ledger.
The General Accounting function manages the accounting and reconciliations related to the University's endowments, gifts, pledges, investments, state funds, and agency funds.
Plant & Property Accounting
The Plant & Property Accounting function oversees accounting for the University's investment in Plant. This includes the management of plant fund ledgers and accounting for plant and property depreciation. This function works closely with facilities management and the UT System Office of Facilities Planning and Construction to facilitate the approval and booking of project funding and expenditures. This function also works with the UT System Office of Finance to analyze, report, and reconcile the University's records on debt to UT System records.
The Contracts & Grants Accounting section in The Office of Finance supports the research activities of the University by providing financial and accounting infrastructure for the post-award administration of sponsored programs.
The particular functions of Contracts & Grants Accounting include:
- Ensuring compliance with applicable federal and state rules and regulations governing the financial administration of sponsored projects
- Creating and promulgating sponsored programs financial administration policies and procedures
- Developing training materials and conducting training programs on financial sponsored program administration
- Managing Invoicing and Receivables
- Generating invoices and payment requests
- Keeping an eye on the timeliness of scheduled payments for sponsored project accounts
- Following up with sponsors on outstanding receivables to ensure timely collection
- Filing Financial Status Reports
- Preparing the Indirect Cost Proposal
- Conducting a comprehensive space survey
- Computing of proper indirect rates.
Last Updated: February 17, 2012