Douglas W. Kirkland
B. A., University of California at Berkeley, 1954
M. S., University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, 1958
Ph.D., University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, 1964
Geology and geochemistry of evaporites and related rocks.
Research investigations include the environment of deposition of the Late Permian Castile and Cloud Chief evaporites, the age and cycles of the Early Permian Blain-San Andres evaporites, and the origin of cap rock of salt domes of the Gulf Coastal Province. Strontium isotope ratios of samples of gypsum and anhydrite are playing a critical role in these investigations.
Thirty years in the petroleum industry particularly with Mobil Research and Development Corporation; activities involved chiefly organic and inorganic geochemistry, and paleontology.
- D. W. Kirkland, R. E. Denison, and W. E. Dean.
- "Parent brine of the Castile evaporites (Upper Permian), Texas and New Mexico." Jour. of Sed. Research, in review.
- D. J. Henry, B. L. Kirkland, and D. W. Kirkland, 1999.
- "Sector-zoned tourmaline from the cap rock of a salt dome." European Journal of Mineralogy, V. 2, in press.
- R. E. Denison, D. W. Kirkland, and R. Evans, 1998.
- "Using strontium isotopes to determine the age and origin of gypsum and anhydrite beds." Journal of Geology, V. 106, No. 1, pp. 1-17.
- D. W. Kirkland, R. E. Denison, and R. Evans, 1995.
- "Middle Jurassic Todilto Formation of northern New Mexico and southwestern Colorado: Marine or nonmarine." New Mexico Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources, Bulletin 147, 39p.
- D. W. Kirkland, R. E. Denison, and M. A. Rooney, 1995.
- "Diagenetic alteration of Permian strata at oil fields of southcentral Oklahoma, U. S. A." Marine and Petroleum Geology, V. 12, No. 6, pp. 629-644.
- D. W. Kirkland, R. E. Denison, D. M. Summers, and J. R. Gormly, 1992.
- "Geology and organic geochemistry of the Woodford Shale in the Criner Hills and western Arbuckle Mountains, Oklahoma." In Source Rocks in the Southern Midcontinent, 1990 Symposium, K. S. Johnson and B. J. Cardott, eds., Oklahoma Geological Survey Circular 93, pp. 38-69.
- Updated: March 20, 2007