Dr. and Mrs. John G. Scales Endowed Scholarship in Geosciences
This fund was established by a gift from Mrs. John G. Scales in 1992. The geosciences department also received a collection of fossils, minerals, seashells, and related natural history items from her husband’s estate in 1992 to be used for teaching purposes in the department. Dr. Scales also bequeathed a collection of antique knives and guns that was sold with the proceeds going to the endowment for scholarship. These funds provide support for deserving undergraduate and graduate students majoring in the geosciences.
Dr. Scales was born in 1908 in Van Alstyne, Texas, and was raised in Oak Cliff until the age of 8, when he moved with his family to Alabama. After returning to Texas during his high school years, he received his B.A. from The University of Texas at Austin, where he first began collecting at a nearby Indian village site on the banks of the Colorado River, and his medical degree from Baylor University. He was called into service from the Reserves, and served in the U.S. Army for two years before transferring into the Air Force. He served five years in the Army and Air Force.
Dr. Scales then began his medical practice in 1945 and entered the ministry in 1963. He served both professions until retiring from medicine in 1969 and from the ministry in 1975. He then began to build up his collection of rocks and artifacts, along with guns, knives and swords of historic note. Dr. Scales survived two bouts with cancer in 1984 and 1987 before suffering a stroke in 1990 that led to his death in May 1991.
- Updated: February 6, 2006