Welcome to the Student Health Center
Other Campus Resources
The Student Health Center provides both primary and preventative health care to currently enrolled students who have paid the medical services fee along with their tuition. The payment of the medical fee allows students to schedule appointments with medical providers at no additional cost to them.
The caring staff of licensed medical providers is committed to keeping students healthy and providing for their medical needs. The clinic is open Monday-Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and on Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Students needing immediate medical attention after hours or on weekends should go to a local physician, urgent care facility, minute clinic, or a hospital emergency room if they have a true emergency.Note: Students under the age of 18 must have a signed and notarized Consent for Treatment form on file with the Student Health Center in order to receive medical treatment.
The first case of the Ebola virus in the United States was diagnosed on Tuesday, Sept. 30, by the Centers for Disease Control at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. That patient, sadly, has passed away. His immediate associates are being closely observed by health authorities who have placed restrictions on those individuals' mobility. None of them is reported to have shown symptoms thus far. Two nurses involved in caring for the first patient have tested positive for the virus and are being cared for.
The CDC and the Texas Department of State Health Services are managing the case in cooperation with the Dallas County Health Department and Texas Health Presbyterian. The University is carefully monitoring the situation through these agencies.
Ebola is very rare and is not spread through airborne transmission. Read more
Prevention Actions That Can Help Fight Flu, Ebola and Other Communicable Diseases
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Stay home when you are sick. Do not go to work, attend school, or run errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness.
- While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces, objects, bathrooms and other shared living spaces that may be contaminated with germs.
- If an outbreak of flu, ebola or communicable illness occur, follow public health advice. This may include information about how to increase distance between people and other measures.
The Flu vaccine is no longer available in the Student Health Center.
Special Announcements and Updates
Changes for Fall 2014
- Beginning fall, 2014, students who have purchased the UT Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) will no longer be required to make payment at the time they receive services. The Student Health Center will start filing insurance claims directly with Blue Cross Blue Shield on behalf of students who are covered by the plan. Services received at the UT Dallas Student Health Center are 100% covered by the UTD SHIP. Students who have chosen NOT to purchase the UT SHIP will continue to be required to make payment at the time they receive services.
- Thanks to the UTD Student Fee Advisory Committee, 75% of the cost of STD screenings will be supplemented by allocations from the medical services fee. Students who request these screenings and are not covered by the UT Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) will be required to pay only 25% of the cost. Students covered by the UT SHIP will not be required to pay anything since their services are covered by the plan.
- The Student Health Center now offers additional pharmacy services through Arapaho Pharamacy. Prescriptions are delivered to the Student Health Center once a day. For more information please contact the Student Health Center at 972-883-2747.