Insurance for International Students
The UT System requires all enrolled international students* to carry medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance. The UT Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is provided to meet this requirement. Each semester of enrollment a fee is assessed to cover the cost of this insurance plan. Students with alternate health insurance that meets or exceeds Regent Rule 50402 requirements may request a waiver of the insurance fee during designated periods.
The University has the discretion to determine what constitutes sufficient documentation demonstrating approved health insurance coverage. Acceptable proof of coverage MUST be written in English and money listed in U.S. dollars.
Fall 2014 Waiver Requirements
The UT System student health insurance requirements for the 2014-2015 academic year have changed to comply with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). Alternate insurance plans students purchased for the 2014-2015 academic year MUST comply with the federal PPACA to be eligible for a waiver of the UT System student insurance plan.
Please note that insurance waiver requests granted in the past may not meet the new requirements of the federal PPACA. We believe the UT Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is a good value for the coverage it provides, and it meets the requirements of the new law. We encourage UT Dallas students to remain enrolled in the UT SHIP.
Keep in mind that with this UT SHIP coverage the cost of all services received in the UT Dallas Student Health Center (SHC) are covered by the plan at 100%. Beginning fall 2014, students on the UT SHIP will not have to pay for services up front because the SHC will file the claim with Blue Cross Blue Shield directly.
Waiver Period and Waiver Process
The waiver period for fall, 2014 is July 1, 2014 through August 22, 2014 – Only waiver applications submitted through the new electronic waiver system during this period will be considered for a waiver for fall 2014.
The Health Insurance Premium fee may be waived for international students who meet the following requirements:
Criteria to submit a waiver
a. are sponsored by the U.S. government, a foreign government recognized by the U.S., or certain international, government sponsored organizations, if:
- the sponsor has guaranteed payment of all health care expenses in writing, and
- has provided coverage through a Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) compliant plan;
b. are enrolled in the U. T. System Employee Group Health Plan;
c. are enrolled in another PPACA compliant employer-provided plan;
d. are enrolled in a U.S. Individual Plan purchased from the Exchange at healthcare.gov. Plan must be a Gold Metal Tier or higher (see notes: must include a carrier letter indicating Metal Tier and Qualified Health Plan certification); or
e. are enrolled exclusively in distance learning programs or classes (Student will need to request an Attestation Form from email@example.com in lieu of submitting an online waiver).
- Dates of Coverage: August 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014
- Unlimited maximum on benefits
- No Pre-existing condition limitation
- $500 or less deductible
- Medical Evacuation coverage of $10,000 or more
- Medical Repatriation coverage of $7,500 or more
The carrier letter for a US Individual Plan must include a signed, official letter on letterhead stating:
- Plan holder name and date of birth
- Insurance carrier and plan name
- Start date and end date of coverage
- Metal tier of Plan (Gold or Platinum)
- Confirmation that the plan is certified for sale as a Qualified Health Plan (QHP)
If you are considering applying for an Exchange individual plan and need guidance or have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you meet the waiver eligibility and have an alternate health insurance plan, please follow these instructions to apply for the waiver of the University of Texas SHIP. All waiver requests must be submitted no later than August 22, 2014 to be considered for the fall 2014 term.
Have an electronic copy of your insurance card, Policy Benefits Summary, and proof of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage (if you have this coverage) available.
Verify you meet the waiver criteria, and if you do, select the large button at the bottom to continue
Enter the required demographic information including your UT Dallas Student ID number and pick your password.
Select the ‘Register’ button to continue.
Select the waiver form under Submit Waivers.
Complete the waiver form and attach copies of your scanned insurance documents.
Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button.
- Watch your UT Dallas email
Academic HealthPlans will send an email to your UT Dallas account with the outcome of your request
- If the waiver request is complete and your policy meets the minimum requirements including sufficient medical evacuation/repatriation coverage, the SHIP fee is waived in full.
- If the waiver request is complete and your policy meets the minimum requirements excluding sufficient medical evacuation/repatriation coverage, the medical insurance fee is waived and a fee for repatriation/evacuation coverage is assessed.
- If the waiver request is incomplete or your policy does not meet the minimum requirements, the email will indicate that you are not eligible for a waiver.
- Check your account
If you received an email stating your insurance fee is waived, check your Orion account. The insurance waiver will be applied to your current balance within 7-10 business days. If your tuition and fees are already paid in full, the insurance fee is reimbursed by the Bursar’s Office through Direct Deposit or mailed check within 10 days of waiver approval.