The Student Health Center does not issue excuses for classes. This matter is between the student and the professor.
The clinical services of the Student Health Center provide for both primary and preventative health care and include the following:
- Treatment of chronic stabilized diseases (copy of medical record and current treatment is required)
- Non-insulin dependent diabetes
- Diagnosis and treatment of general medical illnesses
- Minor emergency care
- Routine check-up and sports physicals (some restrictions may apply)
- Certain immunizations (i.e. Influenza (flu) vaccine; Meningitis vaccine; TB skin test; Tetanus, etc.)
- STD screening and treatment
- Pelvic exams
- Birth control
- Pregnancy counseling
- Referrals for x-ray, ultrasound, MRI, and other specialized tests
- Laboratory Testing for diagnostic purposes (accepts orders from outside physicians)
- Allergy injections
- Gardasil (men and women ages 9-26)
- Pharmacy services*
Students may be referred to outside medical providers for more serious problems that exceed the Student Health Center's capabilities.
The Student Health Center serves only currently enrolled students of UT Dallas who have paid the required medical services fee. This medical fee allows students to schedule office visits at no additional cost; however, nominal fees are assessed for:
- Lab work
- Some medical supplies
- Other procedures determined to be necessary by the medical provider
Students must pay for the cost of these types of services at the time services are provided. Beginning fall, 2014, however, students who have purchased the UT Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) will no longer be required to make payment at the time they receive services. The Student Health Center will start filing insurance claims directly with Blue Cross Blue Shield on behalf of students who are covered by the plan. Services received at the UT Dallas Student Health Center are 100% covered by the UT SHIP. Students who have chosen NOT to purchase the UT SHIP will continue to be required to make payment at the time they receive services.
*The Student Health Center now offers additional pharmacy services through Arapaho Pharamacy. Prescriptions are delivered to the Student Health Center once a day for students to pick up. For more information please contact the Student Health Center at 972-883-2747.