Terminating Your Employment


You should give your department appropriate notice before you end or suspend your time with the University, and help them through the transition (e.g.: turn in your keys, return library books, pay any library fines, return any University charge cards, and cancel your network access). In addition —

Starting your Checkout Procedure ensures that your final paycheck clears when you are not a benefits-eligible employee.


Your UT Dallas insurance coverage terminates at the end of the month in which you terminate your employment or become ineligible for insurance. However, you and your qualified beneficiaries can continue your insurance coverage under COBRAConsolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985, keeping the same benefits and options that were in place before this qualifying life event occurred —with all of the same deductibles, exclusions, limitations, and other provisions of your plan. Please contact your Benefits Representative for a COBRAConsolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 application.

Teacher Retirement System

If you are a vested member of the Teacher Retirement System (TRSTeacher Retirement System) of Texas, you can leave your account(s) intact when you end your time with the University; If you decide to withdraw your funds, it can affect your eligibility for retirement. Please contact the Teacher Retirement System of Texas when you reach your retirement eligibility. To withdraw your TRSTeacher Retirement System funds, submit a Teacher Retirement System Application For Refund (PDFPortable Document Format File) to TRSTeacher Retirement System. Your Benefits Representative can notarize this form for you. Please keep in mind that if your funds are withdrawn, your TRSTeacher Retirement System membership will end as well. See the TRS Benefits Handbook (PDFPortable Document Format File) for more details.

Deferring Unused Annual Leave Pay

If you set up a UTSaver DCP-457(b) account before ending your time with the University, you can deposit all or part of your unused annual leave pay into this account by contacting your Benefits Representative.