Immigration & Citizenship



Department of Labor regulations prevent employers from allowing foreign nationals to volunteer in positions that are usually compensated. Foreign nationals who are awaiting the necessary employment authorization or whose work authorization has expired are not allowed to serve as volunteers.

H-1B Workers

An H-1B visa is valid as long as your employer-employee relationship continues and dates on your H-1 Approval Notice are still valid. You are allowed to take vacation days, sick leave, and maternity/paternity leave without affecting your status.

You are only allowed to perform the work described in your USCISUnited States Citizenship and Immigration Services Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, Form I-129 (PDFPortable Document Format File). Your employer, title, duties, and job location must match what is written in your petition. Your employer can place you on the worksite of another employer so long as all applicable rules are still being followed.

If you work for two different employers, each one must have an approved Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. If your job changes, your employer may need to file a new Form I-129 (PDFPortable Document Format File).

Common Immigration Acronyms
DHS Department of Homeland Security
DOL Department of Labor
H-1B Non-immigrant visa for specialty workers
HR Human Resources
I-9 Employment eligibility verification form
LCA Labor Condition Application
PERM Program Electronic Review Management
PR Permanent Residency
USCIS United States Citizenship & Immigration Services