New Employee Resources

Research Assistants, Teaching Assistants, & Graduate Assistants


As a new employee, you will need to complete your new hire documents and attend an Employment Express session, if applicable. Please see below for more details.

(Note: If you are a rehired employee, you may need to attend an Employment Express session to update your paperwork. Check with your department contact.)

Attend Employment Express

Employment Express is specifically designed for Research Assistants (RAs [Research Assistants] ), Teaching Assistants (TAs [Teaching Assistants] ), and Graduate Assistants (GAs [Graduate Assistants] ) as a resource to complete remaining new hire documents, check-in with International Tax (international students), and ask questions about employment and benefits at UT Dallas. Please note that employment is contingent upon successful completion of your background check.

  • Fall or Spring semester: If you are hired at the beginning of the Fall or Spring semester, you are required to attend one Employment Express session. No appointment necessary.
  • Please check back here for Employment Express date and time details prior to the beginning of each semester.
  • Summer semester: If you are hired at the beginning of the Summer semester, a one-on-one meeting may be set-up with an HR [Human Resources] representative in-lieu-of attending Employment Express.

Items to bring with you to Employment Express are listed below.

  • Identification for I-9 Form. You will need to bring documents that verify your identity and employment authorization. The I-9 instructions (PDF [Portable Document Format File] ) provide a list of acceptable documents on page 4. You must bring one document from List A or one document from both List B and List C with you. We do not accept photocopies.
  • Social Security Card. Regardless of the documents that you bring for the I-9 (PDF [Portable Document Format File] ), you will be required to bring your Social Security card for W-4 (PDF [Portable Document Format File] ), verification. If you do not have a social security card/number, see instructions below.
  • International Passports. If you are using an international passport for a List A document, you will also need to bring your I-20 and a print-out of your I-94 document. Print and bring a copy of the I-94.
  • Voided blank check or savings deposit slip for direct deposit. Other statements from your financial institution that contain your direct deposit information are also acceptable.
  • Selective Service Verification (US citizens only). If you are a male US citizen between the ages of 18-26, go to the Selective Service System website and verify your registration. Print and bring a copy of your proof of registration.

If you do not have a Social Security number (non-US citizens only):

  • You will be able to receive a social security letter at the International Student Services Office orientation or at Employment Express. Social Security letters will not be available before these times.
  • The ISSO [International Student Services Office] will provide you with additional documentation. You must attend an ISSO [International Student Services Office] orientation before you will be provided the additional documentation.
  • The letters received from Human Resources and the ISSO [International Student Services Office] , are necessary to apply for a social security number. Please review the Social Security website for specific instructions on what documents you need to take with you when applying for a social security number.

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Human Resources at


< Other Types of Positions