Please Note: Beginning October 1, 2015, the Office of Human Resources will no longer provide employment verification information over the phone without prior authorization from the employee in question.
Verification of Employment
For the protection of our employees and the security of information regarding our employees, the Office of Human Resources (OHR [Office of Human Resources] ) will no longer provide employment verification information over the phone, to third-parties, without prior authorization from the employee. If the employee has previously provided employment information to a third-party, OHR [Office of Human Resources] will verify the information by responding “yes” or “no”, provided the information is already publicly available.
The OHR [Office of Human Resources] will verify:
- Job title
- Dates of employment
- Length(s) of employment
- Employment status (full/part-time, perm/temp)
- Annual salary * [Please see “Release of Salary Information” below.]
The OHR [Office of Human Resources] will not verify:
- Addresses (current or previous)
- Information relating to timesheet, work schedule, attendance or leave
- Salary breakdown (net, benefit cost, etc…)
- Job duties ** [Please see “Employment References” below.]
- Performance or personnel information
External Verification Requests
For third-party requestor (mortgage company, apartment property management, bank, etc…) the requestor may mail, email or fax their form or complete the Verification of Employment form. Request will be competed in two-three business days in the order they are received. Additional time may be required if the requests includes a non-computerized records search.
* Release of Salary Information
If a third-party requestor needs to obtain salary information, the employee must complete a Verification of Employment (PDF [Portable Document Format File] , 1.98MB) form prior to release of this information. If the OHR [Office of Human Resources] does not receive a release form, the Office of Human Resources will only verify information that is provided to us by the third-party.
Student Employment Information
To ensure compliance with FERPA [Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act] , if you are a current student employed in a position requiring student status, the OHR [Office of Human Resources] must receive a signed Verification of Employment (PDF [Portable Document Format File] , 1.98MB) form before any employment information is released or verified.
** Employment References
The OHR [Office of Human Resources] does not provide references for employment. If you require verification of job duties, a contact in your department may be able to provide that information. Employment references are not required and therefore no agent of the University is obligated to provide this information.
Letter of Verification
If you require a physical letter, please complete the Verification of Employment (PDF [Portable Document Format File] , 1.98MB) form. Information provided on a letter of verification is standardized and cannot be customized. Letters include:
- Current or most recent job title
- Annual base salary (if requested)
- Employment status (full/part-time, perm/temp)
Formal Letters are prepared on UT Dallas letterhead. Letters may be picked up in the Office of Human Resources during normal business hours. Please be prepared to present a valid photo ID for identification verification purposes. A letter may also be emailed or faxed to one address that you specify on the request form.
Special letter request will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the OHR [Office of Human Resources] directly by –
Access to Employment Records
You may review your employment records in the Office of Human Resources (OHR [Office of Human Resources] ) during normal business hours. You will need to schedule an appointment with your Employee Relations Representative. Please be prepared to present a valid photo ID for identification verification purposes.
Employees (or their designated representative) may review their personnel file in the Office of Human Resources during normal business hours. Please contact your Employee Relations Representative to schedule an appointment.
When only inspection is requested (i.e.: no copies made) no charge will be assessed.
- It is the policy of the University to recover the full costs for retrieving and copying public records, including personnel files. Employees will be assessed charges in accordance with guidelines set forth in UT System Administration Policy UTS 139, Texas Public Information Act.
- All other inquiries about and requests for employee records shall be directed to the custodian of public records for the University, the Vice President for Administration. If it is determined that the personnel file of an employee may contain information excepted from disclosure under the Texas Public Information Act, the Vice President for Administration should be informed immediately.
- Any University official or employee receiving inquiries or requests for personnel records or information concerning employees of the University should forward the request immediately to the University’s Vice President for Administration.
- Procedures for handling record requests shall be in accordance with UT System Administration Policy UTS 139, Texas Public Information Act