Skip to Main Content. Access key M.
Skip to Main Navigation. Access key N.
Skip to Sub-Navigation. Access key O.

UT Dallas - Human Resources

Sub-Navigation with the primary navigation element displayed first

Death Claim

A surviving family member should contact Human Resources, 972-883-2221, to report a death. Your Benefits Rep needs to know if the claim is for an employee/retiree or a covered dependent. It is also helpful to have the following information available when HR is notified:

  • Social Security number of the deceased
  • Date of death
  • Name, address and phone number of next of kin

Death of Employee/Retiree

Sometimes the unfortunate happens. When an employee or retiree dies, HR assists family members with the death claim and provides counsel on insurance options. Once the death is reported, the Benefits Rep reviews the decedent's benefits enrollment and assists family members with the necessary forms.

What do you need to do?

You should keep your beneficiary designations up-to-date

What should your family do?

Death Benefit/Life Insurance Claims - Life insurance proceeds are payable to your named beneficiary(ies). Your Benefits Rep will file the death claim once a certified copy of the death certificate is received.

Required documents to process death claim:
  • Certified copy of death certificate

Surviving Dependent Insurance Coverage

Surviving dependents may be eligible for continuation coverage. To determine eligibility, your surviving dependent should contact your Benefits Rep. Please be aware that the State premium contribution ceases and a surviving dependent pays the full cost of all insurance coverage. Once a plan is cancelled, due to nonpayment or during annual enrollment, a surviving dependent may not re-enroll in that coverage.

Required documents and forms for Surviving Dependents to continue coverage:

Other benefits to consider:

Notify retirement carrier(s) concerning death benefits and account distribution.

Death of a Dependent Spouse or Child

Death of a dependent spouse or dependent child(ren) may trigger a change in your benefits. And, if your dependent was covered under the Group Life insurance plan, you may be eligible for death benefits.

What do you need to do?

  • Contact your Benefits Rep and report the death. Your Benefits Rep  assists you with insurance changes and if your dependent was covered under Group Life Insurance, benefit proceeds are payable to you, the employee.
  • Provide your Benefits Rep a certified copy of the Certificate of Death.

Required documents and forms

You may also want to