Finding Available Jobs
- How do I find out what jobs are available?
- What if someone does not have a computer or access to the web?
- How does the online application process work?
- What are the advantages of using the online employment site?
- Who will see my application if I use the online employment site?
Creating An Application
- Where can I complete an application?
- Can someone help me complete the online application?
- How long does it take to complete the online application?
- Can I save my application before I finish completing it?
- Will I be able to attach my resume or cover letter?
- Do I have to fill out the “Work Experience”, “Education” and “Reference” pages if I plan on attaching my resume at the end of the process?
- When/how can I make changes to my application?
- Why would I have to make changes to my application?
Applying For An Open Position
- How do I apply for a job?
- How soon will I hear something?
- Can I apply for more than one job at a time?
- Can I attach a resume or cover letter?
- What if I don't have my document attachments in an electronic format? What do I do?
- How long is my application valid?
- How do I print my application?
- Can I apply by sending my resume via e-mail?
- How can I check the status of my application?
- I liked the old way better, why did you change to the online system?
- I can’t remember my password. What do I do?
- I am having a problem using the Back button to get to a prior page. It keeps returning me to the same page, what do I do?
- I am having a technical problem with my computer that is stopping me from completing the application or applying for a job. What can I do?
- I get a blank screen. What can I do?
How do I find out what jobs are available?
A listing of all available positions can be accessed by clicking on the link "Search Positions". You may then refine your search by Position Title, Department, Location, Requisition ID or EEO Occupation. If you wish to view ALL open positions, leave all search fields at "ANY" and click the SEARCH button.
What if someone does not have a computer or access to the web?
There are a number of ways you can still get access to our online employment site:
- A PC located in Human Resources Management’s main Lobby (located in the Administration Building), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
- Public computers located at most Texas Workforce Center offices.
- Public computers located at public libraries.
- Any computer that has Internet access, 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week.
How does the online application process work?
An applicant completes a general application and then applies it to specific positions at UT Dallas Jobs from any computer with Internet access. All applications for open positions will be screened by the hiring supervisor. Those applicants who are to be interviewed will be contacted. Applicants may check the progress of their application for positions at any time by logging back on to their account and viewing the Status message under "Recent Positions Applied To".
What are the advantages of using the online employment site?
There are a number of advantages to using the new online employment site. Some of these include:
- The ability to save your application form online for re-use on future job openings
- The ability to update your online application with specific skills and experience related to the posting
- The ability to access and review the job requirements while completing the application
- The ability to submit your application immediately and directly to the hiring department, minimizing the risk of missing a deadline or loss of the application
- The online application saves time when you want to apply for multiple jobs at one time, or apply for several positions throughout the year
- The ability to keep track of the status of your application and the recruitment process
- The ability to learn about job openings and apply for positions at any time and from any computer with access to the web
Who will see my application if I use the online employment site?
Your application is on a secure web server and will be available to certain employees in Human Resources Management and the interviewer(s) for the specific job opening for which you apply. The University of Texas at Dallas does not share its database with other companies or localities.
Where can I complete an application?
Applications are accepted via UT Dallas Jobs . Completed applications may be used to apply for any of the open positions listed on the Search Positions page--simply click on "apply for this position," attach a cover letter/resume (optional), and answer any Position Specific Questions (if applicable).
Can someone help me complete the online application?
Human Resources staff members are available to help applicants get started and to answer questions. E-mail Human Resources Management or call (972) 883-2221.
How long does it take to complete the online application?
The time it takes depends on several factors including the amount of work experience and education you have to enter, how fast you can type, etc. You should allow 20-30 minutes for the total process. However, you can speed up the process by collecting important information about previous work experience, education, certifications, etc. before you start creating your application. If you find you are missing a piece of information requested on the application, you may be able to skip the field and go back later to complete it. If you decide to do this, it is important that you return and complete the missing information BEFORE you apply for a specific job opening. The information on your application form when you apply will be used to evaluate your qualifications for the job opening for which you apply--make sure it is accurate and contains all information requested.
Can I save my application before I finish completing it?
You can save the application by clicking on the SAVE AND STAY ON THIS PAGE button. The “continue” and “return” buttons include the SAVE functionality as well. If you create a username/password, start an application, then lose your Internet connection or close out of the browser, you can return to the application and see data through the last page that was saved even if you have not completed all of the required fields on the page where you left off. If you made any changes to the application since last saving it, you will be given the option to save the changes when exiting the application.
Please note that your online session will time out after 60 minutes of inactivity. To be active, you must be communicating with the web server (clicking buttons, tabs, etc.). Typing on a page is NOT a communicating activity. If your session times out, your information will be lost if you have not saved it.
Will I be able to attach my resume or cover letter?
Yes, electronic documents (must be Word or PDF format) can be attached. After completing the online application and selecting the position for which you would like to apply, you will come to an "Attach Document(s)" screen that includes directions prompting you to do one of two things:
- Attach resume, cover letter and references
- Copy and paste or type in resume, cover letter and references
Do I have to fill out the "Work Experience", "Education" and "Reference" pages if I plan on attaching my resume at the end of the process?
No. None of these 3 pages are "required". Only the fields which are marked with a red asterisk throughout the online application are "required" fields. You can always type "see resume" in the first field on any of those pages. It might, however, benefit you to fill out these pages completely, as some Hiring Supervisors may initially screen through their candidates based on a review of applications alone.
When/how can I make changes to my application?
Changes can be made to your general application at any time. However, once you submit an application for a particular position, you cannot go back and make changes to the submitted application. Any changes you do make to your application will be included for any new position for which you apply. If you update your application with the intention that the edits you make update a position for which you have already applied - you must then contact Human Resources Management by e-mail or telephone at (972) 883-2221 in order for those changes to be applied.
- Using UT Dallas Jobs, login using your username and password
- Looking at the menu bar on the left side of the computer screen, click on "Manage Application(s)" and then choose the application you wish to edit
- Make the desired changes to your application and save. Your original application is replaced with the new version.
- The next time you apply for a position, your revised application will be submitted.
Note: If you find that you do need to make a correction or provide additional information after you have submitted your application for a job opening, you should contact the Human Resources Management.
Why would I have to make changes to my application?
Any time your contact information changes (address, phone number, email address, etc.), you will need to edit your application to reflect the change. Another reason that you may wish to edit your application is if you have acquired additional skills, experience and education since you created your original application.
Applying For an Open Position
How do I apply for a job?
The application process has three steps:
- Creating a login user name and password. Be sure to remember these or make note of them as they will enable you to come back and access your application, to make changes or apply for additional positions, and to check on the status of a position.
- Creating your online application - this can be done at any time. You may also search open positions before creating the online application.
- Applying your online application to a specific job opening prior to the closing date (if applicable).
Throughout the process, it's important that you read and follow all instructions carefully.
How soon will I hear something?
For some positions, you will be prompted to answer specific job-related questions. Based upon your answers to these questions, you will receive an immediate response letting you know if your application is being referred to the hiring department for evaluation. Hiring departments will contact applicants they wish to interview.
Can I apply for more than one job at a time?
Yes. Once you have completed your application you may apply to any open position(s). Logging back on to UT Dallas Jobs will allow you to access your application and update and/or submit it for other job openings.
Can I attach a resume or cover letter?
Yes. You may attach a resume and cover letter as you apply for each position. Electronic documents (must be Word or PDF format) can be attached. After completing the online application and selecting the position for which you would like to apply, you will come to an "Attach Document(s)" screen that includes directions prompting you to do one of two things:
- Attach resume, cover letter and references
- Copy and paste or type in resume, cover letter and references
What if I don't have my document attachments in an electronic format? What do I do?
We understand that you may NOT have all of your documents (i.e. transcripts or related) available in an electronic format. After having applied for a position, you may or send the documents via email to the attention of email@example.com. Please be sure that your name, the Position Title, and Position # you would like the documents applied to are clearly printed on the document. NOTE: All submitted materials will become the property of the University of Texas at Dallas, and will not be returned to the applicant.
How long is my application valid?
Your application does not expire or purge from the system. However, it is strongly recommended that you update an old application prior to applying for a specific job opening.
How Do I Print My Application?
Before submitting your application, you will have the option to view it. When your application opens in a new browser window, using the tool bar at the of your computer screen, click on File and then on Print, and follow the prompts on the screen to print your application.
Can I apply by sending my resume via e-mail?
For jobs that require applicants to apply electronically, applications should be completed using UT Dallas Jobs . Paper applications will not be accepted by fax, e-mail or postal mail. If you do not have the ability to "attach" a resume or cover letter to an application for a position you wish to apply for online, you may contact Human Resources Management by e-mail or by telephone at (972) 883-2221 so they can "attach" those documents to that position for you.
How can I check the status of my application?
Using the online employment site, you can login using your user name and password. Looking at the left side menu bar, click on "Positions for Which I Have Applied." You will see one of two status notes next to each position for which you applied:
- In Process - Position is still open and based on your skills/qualifications, you may or may not be contacted for an interview;
- Position Filled - another candidate has been hired.
I liked the old way better, why did you change to the online system?
The benefits of the online process to applicants, hiring departments and Human Resources Management far outweigh the advantages of staying with our manual application process.
The online system provides more information to applicants, including the status of the position(s) for which they have applied, daily updates to job postings and the ability to update their application online. The system can be accessed 24-hours-a day, 7-days-a-week from any Internet connection. Applicants can do a search for openings based on department, title, or category and can track the hiring process.
The online process reduces the process time from when a job is listed to when applications are received thus reducing the time it takes to fill a position. It also reduces the redundant work of processing, printing, copying and distributing paper applications/resumes. It provides more consistent applicant tracking information and the ability to search and utilize applications on file.
I can't remember my password. What do I do?
In the event that you forget or misplace your username or password and you have submitted a current email address, the jobsite will send you an email to reset your password. If your email address is not current or if you did not supply one, you may contact Human Resources Management via e-mail or call us at (972) 883-2221. Please provide us with your full name and address. This information will assist us in locating your records within our database. Human Resources does not have access to your password, only to your username.
I am having a problem using the Back button to get to a prior page. It keeps returning me to the same page, what do I do?
Do not use your browser's "back," "forward" or "refresh" buttons to navigate UT Dallas Jobs . This may cause unexpected results, including loss of data or being logged out of the system. Please use only the navigational buttons within the site.
I am having a technical problem with my computer that is keeping me from completing the application or applying for a job. What can I do?
Be sure you are using either Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher, or Netscape 4.79 or higher. You may e-mail or call Human Resources at (972) 883-2221 with the specific problem and a representative will assist you.
I get a blank screen. What can I do?
Need assistance with an employment issue? Have a compliment or complaint? You may click on the above link to view the contact information for the Employment team members or you can take the HR customer service survey.
Last Updated: September 24, 2013