New Position & Reclassification Job Audits
The Job Audit is the broad term used for the process that HRM Compensation uses to determine the appropriate pay and title for new Classified positions; to “reclassify” existing Classified positions (when the nature of the position has changed significantly); and to establish the appropriate title for new A & P positions. Reclassification is a part of that process referring to the audit of existing “classified” positions and the implementation of changes recommended as a result of that audit. You may also reference the Job Audit Flowchart to visualize the process.
No Job Audit is required if an existing position is being replaced at the same title and pay grade (if applicable).
The President has expressed a strong preference that classified job audits be scheduled prior to the beginning of the annual budget process, with any resulting reclassifications to be effective the following September 1. A call for reclassification requests is sent to the campus in late winter/early spring each year.
Off cycle requests can take up to 20 work days to complete, which should be factored into a department’s plans for proposing an effective date for an off cycle reclassification. In accordance with State law, the effective date of the reclassification must be after the final approval of the action. In other words, there cannot be a retroactive salary increase associated with a reclassification.
Role of the Department in the Job Audit of a New A & P or Classified Position
- Access and complete all sections of the Position Description Form for either Classified or A & P Staff
- Obtain required approvals
- Submit to Compensation
- Compensation issues the "Position Allocation Notice" (PAN - Sample Attached ) to the department, assigning new title, job class code and pay grade if applicable
- Department proceeds with Employment process:
- Establish a New Position by completing the New Position Request Form and submitting to the Budget Office
- Complete requisition by accessing the www.utdallasjobs.com/hr website, and establish a search plan for A & P positions .
- Budget Office assigns position number, approves requisition, and department proceeds with posting the position via www.utdallasjobs.com/hr website
- See New Hire Process Flowcharts for details of hiring Classified or A & P Staff
Role of the Department in the Job Audit and Re-"Classification" of an Existing Classified Position
- Access and complete all sections of the Position Description Form for Classified Staff
- Obtain required approvals
- Submit to Compensation for review and analysis
- If reclassification is recommended, Compensation issues “Position Allocation Notice “ (PAN sample ) to department and copy to Budget, assigning a new title, job class code and pay grade for the recommended reclassification
- Department consults Budget/HR Guidelines to determine a proposed salary for reclassified position:
- Department completes “Personnel Action Form” (PAF) including required approvals, to change the employees’ position number, title and salary as applicable
- When approved, department manager communicates information to employee(s)
- Submits PAF to HRM Data Management by middle of the month to be effective during the current month
- There are no retroactive reclassification or other salary actions
Role of Compensation in a Job Audit for Classification of a New Position or Reclassification of an Existing Position
- Upon receipt of the Position Description, HRM Compensation performs a Job Audit:
- Reviews Position Description and may contact the department with questions about the position, or if needed, set up an onsite Desk Audit of Position – this may include interviews with Department Manager and the Employee if reclassification
- Analyzes the changes in the position and their impact on the pay grade and salary
- Consults Compensation information on similar positions from internal sources, other universities and published salary survey sources
- Determines and communicates recommendation for Title, Pay Grade and FLSA status via the “Position Allocation Notice” (PAN)
Click on the above link to view a list of Compensation staff that can assist you.
Last Updated: February 24, 2012