Skip to Main Content. Access key M.
Skip to Main Navigation. Access key N.

UT Dallas - Human Resources

General Information & Visa Classifications

The Office of Human Resources (HR) assists and supports academic departments in successfully attaining and maintaining the appropriate status for the employment of international faculty, scholars and staff, in addition to serving as a source of guidance on matters related to employment. Accordingly, HR's responsibility involves the preparation and submission of documents required by federal regulations to obtain the appropriate nonimmigrant status of the foreign nationals while working at The University of Texas at Dallas (UTD).

The Office of Human Resources does not process immigrant (Permanent Resident or Green Card) petitions. HR will assist the employee and the employee’s attorney during the process.

Nonimmigrant Visa Categories

J-1 Exchange Visitor Program Information

H1-B Temporary Worker in a Specialty Occupation

Other Nonimmigrant Visa Categories

Other categories are occasionally used for temporary employment in higher education:

  • TN (Trade NAFTA) visas are available to citizens of Canada and Mexico in one-year increments. 
  • O-1 is available for the temporary employment of non-immigrants who have achieved and sustained national or international acclaim for extraordinary achievements in the Sciences, Arts, Education, Business or Athletics. Contact HR for more information about TN or 0-1 status.
  • E-3
  • Visa Waiver Program

Contact Us

Need assistance with an employment issue? Have a compliment or complaint? You may click on the above link to view the contact information for the Employment team members or you can take the HR customer service survey.

DISCLAIMER: U.S. immigration laws are very complex. The information contained in these files is designed specifically as assistance for visitors and scholars at UT Dallas. Immigration laws are constantly changing, and even though we will attempt to keep these files up to date, we cannot guarantee their completeness or accuracy. The information contained herein is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship nor can it be construed as legal advice. For legal advice seek assistance from immigration specialists. You may consider consulting with an attorney who belongs to the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).