Travel Guide to UT Dallas
Timing of Arrival
- USCIS immigration regulations allow F-1 and J-1 students to enter the United States no earlier than 30 days prior to the start date on the I-20 or DS-2019.
- Consider the dates of all required orientations when choosing the appropriate International Student Orientation.
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement provides information on what an F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor can expect upon arrival at a U.S. port of entry. You may want to download and print this information to carry it with you as you travel to the U.S.
- Pack Light — Visit the U.S. Transportation Security Administration website to determine which items are prohibited for air travel.
- Clothes — The weather in Texas changes with the seasons. It is very hot during the summer (High 100 degrees Fahrenheit / 37 degrees Celsius), and cold in the winter (Low 32 degrees Fahrenheit / 0 degrees Celsius).
- Fashion — While there is no formal dress code at U.S. universities, most students dress casually such as jeans and shirts. It is recommended that you bring at least one semi-formal outfit.
- Mementos from Home — You may want to bring items that remind you of home. You may also want to bring traditional dress from your country for festivals and/or special occasions.
- Household Items — Plan on purchasing most of your household items (small electrical appliances, kitchenware, bed sheets, towels, etc.) once you arrive.
- Valuables — We recommend that you put valuable items in your carry-on bag in case your suitcase gets lost or misplaced during your flight. Carry your immigration documents with you during your flight.
- Important Documents — Consider having your important documents (school transcripts, marriage license, medication prescriptions, etc.) translated into English before you leave your county.
To learn more information about what to pack for your trip to the U.S., watch the “What to Pack” video.
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) (Distance from campus: 26.1 miles/ 42 Km)
- Dallas Love Field Airport (Distance from campus: 20.1 miles/ 32 Km)
Train and Bus Services
Transportation to the UT Dallas campus
The International Center sponsors free airport pick-ups for new students. No registration is necessary to ride. Please read all details below:
- Dates and Times:
Date Time (CDT) Thursday, July 28 1:00pm, 7:00pm Friday, July 29 1:00pm, 7:00pm Saturday, July 30 1:00pm Sunday, July 31 7:00pm Monday, August 1 7:00pm Friday, August 5 1:00pm Saturday, August 6 1:00pm, 7:00pm Sunday, August 7 1:00pm Sunday, August 14 1:00pm
- Buses depart promptly at the times listed above. Late comers will need to wait for the next bus, or find another way to campus
- All buses pick-up from Dallas Fort Worth International Airport, Terminal D and drop-off at the UT Dallas Activity Center
- To find the bus, follow signs to “Ground Transportation” after you claim your baggage.
- The bus will have a sign in the window that says “Bus to UT Dallas”. Look for the bus with the Transportation Unlimited Inc. logo. See example below:
- Once dropped off on-campus, students are responsible for making their own arrangements for temporary housing or accommodations.
If you are not able to make the times listed above, or you prefer another mode of transport to the UT Dallas campus, here are some options:
|Mode of Transport||Approximate Price||Time to Campus||Resources|
|Shuttle (shared ride)||$25 – $40||20 mins minimum (depends on how many people are sharing the shuttle with you)||City Shuttle
|Taxi||$55 – $75||20 mins||List of Authorized Taxis from DFW|
|Public Transportation: Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)||$5||2 hours||Take DART Orange Line or Red Line towards Parker Road Station. Stop at Bush Turnpike Station and take Comet Cruiser Route 883 to campus|
In addition, some UT Dallas student organizations provide transportation for new students from the DFW airport to campus. Contact these student organizations by reviewing the list on the ICP Housing webpage.