Policies: Mobile Device Security: iOS
UT Dallas Information Security Best Practices strongly recommend that you configure the following items on all iOS mobile devices such as iPhones, iPads, and iPad Touches.
Auto lock after inactivity
Require a passcode for access
Auto-wipe the device after 10 unsuccessful passcode attempts
How to Configure Your iOS Mobile Device
- Select the Settings menu from your Home screen.
- Select General.
- Select Auto-Lock.
- Select a time between 1-5 minutes. (1 Minute is recommended)
- Select the General arrow at the top to go back to the General menu.
- From the General menu, select Passcode Lock.
- Select Turn Passcode On.
- Enter a 4 digit passcode, then re-enter the passcode when prompted.
- Select Require Passcode.
- Choose an option between Immediately and 15 minutes. (1 Minute is recommended.) This is the length of time that must pass before the iPhone will require the passcode to be unlocked.
- Select the Passcode Lock arrow at the top to go back to the Passcode Lock menu.
- Turn the slider beside Erase Data to ON. When prompted, select Enable to enable this feature. This will cause the device to self-wipe after 10 incorrect passcodes have been entered.
- You're done. You can press the Home button to exit this menu.