Connect to CometNet with your Mobile Device
Due to the large variety of mobile devices on the market, we cannot provide walkthroughs for every possible scenario. Below are the general settings for connecting to CometNet, walkthroughs for iOS and Android 2.3, and a list of other devices that are known to work.
CometNet wireless General Configuration details
- Network Name or SSID: CometNet
- 802.11 Operating Mode: Infrastructure or Network (not ad hoc)
- Security Mode: Enterprise (not Personal)
- Network Authentication: WPA2
- Data Encryption: AES or AES-CCMP
- Roaming Identity or Outer Identity: NetID
- Authentication Type or Outer Authentication: Protected EAP (PEAP)
- Authentication Protocol or Inner Authentication: MS-CHAPv2
- Credentials: NetID and Password
- Validate Server Certificate or Verify Server Name: Choose YES
- Certificate Issuer or Trusted Root CA: AddTrust External Root CA
- Server Name or Certificate Name: 8021x.utdallas.edu
- Server Name Must Match: Choose YES
Access the CometNet wireless network on your iOS device (iPhone and iPad)
- Tap Settings (the icon that looks like gears)
- Tap Wi-Fi
- Tap CometNet in the list of available networks
- Enter your NetID and Password and leave Mode set to Automatic
- Tap Accept in the Certificate notice that appears
- You should now be returned to the Wi-Fi Networks list and should be connected to CometNet
Access the CometNet wireless network on your Android device
Open up the Settings Menu and Select Wi-Fi. If your Wi-Fi is turned off, you will need to turn it on.
On your list of available wireless networks at the Wi-Fi menu, select CometNet.
Select the correct EAP and Phase 2 Authentication methods as shown below. Then enter in your NetID under Identity and your NetID Password in the Password field. When you have done this, select Connect.
You should be taken back to your Wi-Fi menu. CometNet should take a moment to connect, but once it has worked, you should see the word “Connected” beneath it in the list. Also, a new icon will appear across the top of your screen, indicating the connection to a Wireless network has been established.
Devices known to work on CometNet
- Kindle Fire
All Apple iOS devices are known to work with CometNet
- Curve 8900
- Storm 9550
- Bold 9700
- G1 a.k.a. Dream
- Nexus One
- Droid X
- Moment SPH-M900
If you have a device not listed here that is working with CometNet, please let us know!