Fall and Spring
F-1 students are required to enroll in full-time coursework during fall and spring semesters.
- Undergraduates = 12 credit hours
- Graduates = 9 credit hours
Summer is optional unless it is your first semester in a new program. That can mean your first semester at UT Dallas or the first semester of a new degree.
- Undergraduates = 9 credit hours
- Graduates = 6 credit hours
- All courses must apply to your degree to be counted toward the full-time requirement.
- Only 3 hours of online courses can count toward the full-time requirement.
- You cannot take all the full-time requirement hours as pre-requisite courses.
- At least one of your full-time requirement courses must cover the full 16-week session.
- If it is your last semester and you lack only one class to complete your degree, that course cannot be taken online.
- Not enrolling in enough hours, dropping below full-time during the semester or taking too many online courses are all F-1/J-1 violations that will lead to the termination of your visa status.
Alternative Ways To Meet Requirements
- Concurrent Enrollment - Submit a Concurrent Enrollment Form to the UT Dallas ISSO by Census Day of each semester.
- Graduating Semester - Apply for graduation or submit a Reduced Enrollment Form to the ISSO by Census Day of your final semester.
- Authorized, full-time CPT – Alternative available one fall or spring semester per year, a number of restrictions apply.
- Study Abroad – Students who participate in UT Dallas-approved study abroad programs are enrolled full-time in a special UT Dallas course. For information about study abroad opportunities and requirements, contact the Office of International Education.