Authorized Early Withdrawal

If you are an F-1 student and have an emergency that requires you to withdraw from classes and leave the U.S., you may request an authorized early withdrawal. You are required to notify and receive approval from the International Student Services Office (ISSO) before dropping classes. If not, it will negatively affect your F-1 status.


  1. Notify an international student advisor about your departure plans.
    • During the semester, contact an advisor prior to withdrawing from classes. Report your plans and review pertinent deadlines.
    • Between semesters, contact an advisor as soon as you know you will not enroll in the next semester. Report your plans and review pertinent deadlines.
  2. Submit a completed Authorized Early Withdrawal (AEW) form to the ISSO.
  3. Withdraw from classes.
  4. The advising team supervisor will terminate your F-1 record within five days of submission of the AEW form and will send you an email when the process is complete.
  5. Depart the U.S. within 15 calendar days of the termination or before the next Census Day, whichever comes first.

If you wish to return to the U.S. later to study you will need a new I-20. For more information, contact an international student advisor.

Related Topics