Authorized Early Withdrawal
If you are an F-1 student and have an emergency that requires you to withdraw from classes and leave the U.S., you may request an Authorized Early Withdrawal (AEW). To avoid a negative impact on your F-1 status if you are considering an AEW during a fall or spring semester, submit the AEW form to the International Student Services Office (ISSO) before dropping classes.
- Submit a completed AEW request form to the ISSO at ISSODocuments@utdallas.edu. You can download the form at utdallas.edu/isso/forms/
- If you are enrolled, you may withdraw from classes
- Your F-1 record will be terminated 5 business days after ISSO receives the AEW form or from the date you indicate you will leave the U.S.
Implications of AEW
- Upon termination of the F-1 SEVIS record, all F-1 benefits, such as employment (CPT, on-campus job) cease immediately.
- SEVIS records of F-2 dependents sponsored under your F-1 will also be terminated. F-2 dependents in this situation are not allowed to remain the U.S.
- If you have not already left, you must leave the U.S. within 15 days of the termination date or the next Census Day, whichever comes first.
- If you do not leave the U.S. within the stated times, you will be out of status and in the country without authorization.
- If you wish to return to the U.S. later to study, you will need a new I-20. Visit the Returning F-1 Students webpage for more details.
Early withdrawal from your program may have effects on your academic record. We strongly advise you to check in with the following offices as well:
- Academic Department: Impact of AEW on your academic record and scholarship or assistantship if any
- Bursar's Office: Deadlines for refunds and payments
- Registrar's Office: Deadlines for dropping classes
- Student Health Center: Student health insurance coverage and fees
- If you plan to return to the U.S. to continue your program, we recommend you to read the Returning F-1 students webpage information for students who successfully completed the AEW process.
For any immigration related questions or to let the us know of any change of plans, please contact the ISSO at ISSOCurrent@utdallas.edu.