Apply for an F-1 Visa

The F-1 visa is issued by U.S. Consulates and Embassies abroad, and each Consulate/Embassy has differing requirements and procedures for the visa application. It is recommended that you apply for your visa in your country of citizenship or permanent residence. It is not possible to renew an F-1 visa while in the United States.

Visit your country's U.S. Embassy or Consulate website to learn where you will apply for your F-1 visa. Learn how to schedule an appointment, how many times you can apply for your visa, what specific documents are required, and what procedures must be followed.

Apply for your F-1 visa as soon as possible. Make sure that you allow adequate time for security checks.

Documents for Your Visa Application Interview

  • All appropriate U.S. Department of State forms and documents as listed on the Embassy/Consulate Web site, including your non-refundable visa application fee and photographs.
  • Valid passport.
  • Information showing admission to a UT Dallas program.
  • Financial Support Evidence.
  • Documents proving intent to return to the home country after completion of F-1 status.
  • Form I-20 signed by your UT Dallas International Student Advisor.
  • For students renewing their visa after a stay in the United States:
    • Transcripts from all U.S. institutions attended,
    • Support documentation from your academic program,
    • UT Dallas enrollment verification letter from the Registrar's Office,
    • All U.S. transcripts, and
    • All previously issued I-20s.

Related Topics